Recipe Chicken and Green Banana Curry with Orange Peel

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:00 AM
Green bananas aren’t very sweet and are a good substitute for plantains which can be hard to source in the UK. They are sold as 'ripen at home' bananas in supermarkets. I cooked them separately to retain their shape and texture as there is a tendency for them to dissolve into sauces otherwise. The tamarind here provides a tangy contrast to the banana and the orange peel adds a bitter dimension.

fullsizeoutput_3cd7.jpeg

Ingredients
(serves 2)
1 large skinless chicken breast fillet, cut into chunks
1 medium green banana or plantain
1 orange
1/2 a large onion
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tbsp grated garlic
1/2 tbsp grated ginger
2 tsp ground chilli
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp tamarind paste
120 ml water (approx.)
2 to 3 whole birds eye chillies
2 tsp sugar
Salt to taste, coriander leaves to garnish

Method
Thinly pare the peel from the orange avoiding the white pith (I used a 'Y' shaped peeler).
Cook the peel in simmering water until tender and set aside.
Finely chop the onion and cook gently in the oil until softened.
Add the garlic and ginger and fry gently for a 5 minutes, adding a little water if required.
Add the spices, tamarind paste and sugar and cook for a few minutes.
Add the chicken and orange peel turning to coat in the spice mixture. Add the whole chillies.
Simmer for 20 minutes adding water as required to make a fairly thick sauce.
Meanwhile, cut the peeled green banana or plantain into rounds and simmer in boiling water until tender.
Add the green banana to the curry and heat through. Add salt to taste.

fullsizeoutput_3cf7.jpeg

Last edited:
Green bananas aren’t very sweet and are a good substitute for plantains which can be hard to source in the UK.
I'm certain they are an excellent substitute: green plantains do seem to taste like green bananas, the same way that ripe plantains taste like ripe bananas.

Back
Top Bottom