Recipe Chicken and Parma Ham Ballotines

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:21 AM
DSCF2460.jpg

Photographed yesterday in natural light.

If the word Ballotine terrifies you, then join the club. Until recently I thought it was something far too difficult. It turns out to be one of those things that is easier to do than to explain. But explain it I will!

Ballotine is a fancy name for a stuffed piece of chicken or game rolled into a sausage shape. In this recipe I've used a stuffing of mushrooms and sausage meat. But you can use anything you like as a stuffing. Last time I made them I used black pudding - but you could simply use garlic butter. Once cooked, slice each Ballotine into 3 pieces, as above. Here I served them on spinach seasoned with fenugreek and a chicken and wine sauce with juniper & and pink peppercorns.

Here's how you make them:

Ingredients:

4 skinless boned chicken thighs.
4 to 8 slices of Parma ham, Prosciutto or similar, depending on the size of the chicken thighs.
Stuffing of your choice

Method:

• Place each chicken thigh between two pieces of cling film and using a rolling pin or mallet, bash out the pieces until about 0.5cm/0.25in thick. Set the chicken thighs aside on a plate
  • Place one or two slices of Parma ham on a sheet of cling film. Place one flattened chicken thigh on top, skin side down. Place a tablespoonful of the stufffing at the smaller end of the chicken thigh.
  • Using the cling film to help, roll the stuffed thigh into a sausage shape. Then hold the ends of the cling film (like a Christmas cracker) and push the sausage shape away from you repeatedly, to tighten the cling film around the stuffed chicken thigh and form the Ballotines.
  • Repeat with the remaining chicken and Parma ham slices. Place the Ballotines in the fridge in their cling film and leave for at least 1/2 an hour. You could leave them overnight or freeze them at this point.
  • Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
  • Remove Ballotines from cling film and place on a baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and cook in the oven for 25 minutes.
DSCF2465.jpg

Photographed yesterday in natural light

Now you just need the spotlessly white tea towel to go around the edge of the bowl and tidy the plate up and you will have a new profession! Food photographer.

The photos look excellent btw but you may need to start to consider putting a signature on them or ensuring that you only upload a small version (800x800 or 1024x1024 pixel size, maximum) at 72dpi because they really are that good. I haven't checked what size you are uploading so apologies if you are already restricting the quality. This would still allow someone else to use them online and claim they were theirs but when crunch came to crunch, they would not be able to produce anything good enough quality(as in print quality or poster quality) to actually get paid.

PM me if this makes no sense and when I'm on a proper keyboard I can explain. I have to do something similar with my landscape photographs being ' semi-professional' having sold a few.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness @morning glory these look incredible! I am pretty sure the only time I have seen them made was on a season of Masterchef by one of the contestants (at least, it was some cooking show!) and I too thought they seemed intimidating.

Agree with @SatNavSaysStraightOn - you sure could get into food photography! Looks fancy!!
Thank you. As I said they are much easier to make than I would ever have thought! The secret is using the cling film to make
Now you just need the spotlessly white tea towel to go around the edge of the bowl and tidy the plate up and you will have a new profession! Food photographer.

The photos look excellent btw but you may need to start to consider putting a signature on them or ensuring that you only upload a small version (800x800 or 1024x1024 pixel size, maximum) at 72dpi because they really are that good. I haven't checked what size you are uploading so apologies if you are already restricting the quality. This would still allow someone else to use them online and claim they were theirs but when crunch came to crunch, they would not be able to produce anything good enough quality(as in print quality or poster quality) to actually get paid.

PM me if this makes no sense and when I'm on a proper keyboard I can explain. I have to do something similar with my landscape photographs being ' semi-professional' having sold a few.
Thank you @SatNavSaysStraightOn. I've been really practising food photography. Oddly enough I intended the splash of sauce - but you may be right. At the moment, the only way I can get decent photographs is to use natural light (which there is precious little of, these days!). Flash simply doesn't work for food photography (or almost any other kind). But hopefully I'll be getting a table top professional light for Xmas. One light and a reflector board should suffice. Apparently its best to photograph food with one light source if possible to show the contours of the ingredients to best effect. I will PM you re technical stuff.

Oh my goodness @morning glory these look incredible! I am pretty sure the only time I have seen them made was on a season of Masterchef by one of the contestants (at least, it was some cooking show!) and I too thought they seemed intimidating.

Agree with @SatNavSaysStraightOn - you sure could get into food photography! Looks fancy!!

Thank you. I think I first saw them on Masterchef too! They are much much easier to make than I ever would have thought. The secret is in the cling film! Plus, they are very satisfying to make - creating nice plump sausages in their shiny cling film coats. The great thing is, you can make them ahead of time and then all you have to do is pop the in the oven for 25 mins. Great dinner party food.

P.S. I have been trying to find a vegetarian version of Ballotines to no avail, as my daughter is vegetarian Try bashing out and rolling up a Quorn 'chicken' fillet! Oh dear.... it really doesn't work!

Back
Top Bottom