Recipe Chicken, Bacon and Pearl Onion Chilli Con Carne

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
6:12 AM
Chicken, Bacon and Pearl Onion Chilli Con Carne:

NOTE: Chilli Con Carne is a Meat and Chilli Pepper Stew which may or may not include Beans, Tomatoes, Onions and other ingredients.

ChickenBaconPearlOnionChilli02.jpg

Ingredients:

1) Chicken - 1 Half Breast
2) Bacon - 2 to 3 strips
3) Anaheim Pepper - 1
4) Serrano Pepper - 1
5) Pearl Onions - 6 to 8

NOTE: If Baby Pearl Onions are used, double the quantity.

6) Roma Tomatoes - 2
7) Black Beans - 1/4 Cup Dry
8) Tomato Sauce - 1 Cup
9) Chilli Powder - 3 to 4 Tblspns.
10) Paprika - 1 Tblspn.
11) Water - as required

Procedure:

1) Soak Beans overnight.

NOTE: It takes time to soften dry Beans. Start by soaking overnight and on the day of the meal preparation, allow for about 2+ hours to Boil them.

2) Split Chicken Half Breast lengthwise and then cross-cut pieces.
3) Cut the Bacon Strips into pieces.
4) Quarter Anaheim Pepper lengthwise and cross-cut slices.
5) Julienne cut Seranno Pepper.
6) Quarter cut Tomatoes lengthwise and cross cut into chunks.
7) Cut of roots and peel the skins off the Pearl Onions.
8) Boil Dry Black Beans in Water until semi-soft.

NOTE: Add Water as necessary, to keep the Beans in a semi-liquid Broth just covering the Beans. Stir often. As Beans begin to soften, reduce heat and simmer.

9) Add Pearl Onions, Chicken, Bacon and Peppers.

ChickenBaconPearlOnionChilli01.jpg

10) Continue to simmer until Pearl Onions soften and Chicken is cooked.
11) Add Tomato Sauce and Spices.

NOTE: Reduce thickness to preference by adding Water or increase thickness by adding Chilli Powder and/or Paprika.

12) Continue to Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.

13) Add Tomato chunks and simmer for another 10 minutes.

NOTE: Add Tomato chunks last, so that the chunks retain shape and do not mush out.

14) Ladle into soup bowls to serve.

I like the use of whole pearl onions here. Its not so often they are seen whole in dishes. I'd most definitely add the chilli powder - it is, after all, a chilli! Its unusual to me to use chicken breast (or chicken) in a chilli.

A notable thing about this recipe is the fact there is no fat/oil other than that in the bacon.

I like the use of whole pearl onions here. Its not so often they are seen whole in dishes. I'd most definitely add the chilli powder - it is, after all, a chilli! Its unusual to me to use chicken breast (or chicken) in a chilli.

A notable thing about this recipe is the fact there is no fat/oil other than that in the bacon.

I have found that Pearl Onions retain more flavor bang, when they are not sliced or chopped up. I will only ever use them whole for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom