Chicken in Air Fryer Q

mjd

Veteran
Local time
5:13 PM
I absolutely love my air fryer but I haven't been able to get it to make a crispy skin on chicken. I've used both bone-in and boneless with the same results. It's still yummy but looks and tastes nothing like "fried chicken". The skin never gets dark.

I've preheated at 400F for 10 minutes and cook until it reaches the right temp.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

I use a halogen oven (which is similar but not the same as an air-fryer) and don't have a problem so not sure how much help I can give. I'd suggest starting skin side down to render off as much fat as possible and then turning half way through. Rubbing some salt on the skin may help.

I did find this:

how to get crispy skin chicken in air fryer

Reactions: mjd
I don't have air fryer experience, but one universal rule for crispy chicken skin is dry skin. Besides drying the skin with a paper towel, I would put it in the fridge for several hours uncovered, and let it air dry.

CD

We quite like buffalo wings occasionally and I've tried several different techniques to get that crispy deep-fried taste and texture (without actually deep frying them). And the best I've found is a technique where you toss them in baking powder (important note....you must use baking powder, not baking soda or bicarbonate of soda!)

- make sure the chicken is dry and put it into a large bowl
- sprinkle with baking powder (approx 1 tsp per 400g of wings) and salt - toss well to make sure they're evenly coated
- place the wings skin side up on a rack (with a tray under to catch the drippings)
- bake in the oven at 120C for 30 minutes
- turn oven up to 220C and bake for a further 40 to 50 minutes

We quite like buffalo wings occasionally and I've tried several different techniques to get that crispy deep-fried taste and texture (without actually deep frying them). And the best I've found is a technique where you toss them in baking powder (important note....you must use baking powder, not baking soda or bicarbonate of soda!)

- sprinkle with baking powder (approx 1 tsp per 400g of wings) and salt - toss well to make sure they're evenly coated
- place the wings skin side up on a rack (with a tray under to catch the drippings)
That's the method I use, outlined by SeriousEats.

I will try this the next time I buy wings. I love wings too! Quickie...do you keep them whole or cut them discarding the tip?

I will try this the next time I buy wings. I love wings too! Quickie...do you keep them whole or cut them discarding the tip?
I usually discard the tip and separate the wings into drumettes and wingettes - it just makes them easier to cook and handle.

I bought and made some chicken leg quarters today. I usually don't care for dark meat but wanted to try it. They turned out wonderfully. I'll be making some wings soon when I try the pizza dough recipe TastyReuben posted.

Thanks again everyone for helping me sort this out!

I own the Ninja Foodi, which works pretty well!! Looks almost like a robot!!!!
:whistling:

I usually discard the tip and separate the wings into drumettes and wingettes - it just makes them easier to cook and handle.

Yes, when I buy wings whole, I separate the drums, flappers and tips. I freeze the tips to make stock later. The drums and flappers have all the meat. I like the drums and flappers separated before cooking, because that is how I am going to eat them.

CD

Back
Top Bottom