Recipe Chicken in lime and ginger

Local time
10:31 PM
Website
www.helium.com
This is a recipe that was on Food and Drink in the UK about 20 years ago, and it's a firm favourite in our house. Mix together 2 tablespoons each of soy sauce and vegetable oil, then add the juice and zest of a lime, a chopped clove or garlic, and a 1" of chopped root ginger - or use a teaspoon of ready minced stuff. Add a little salt and pepper, then slash the surface of 4 skinless chicken breasts and marinate for at least 4 hours but no more than 8 - otherwise it may be bitter.

Then cook in a hot oven for about 30 - 40 minutes, turning half way through the cooking time. Tip any remaining marinade into the roasting dish, because when the chicken is cooked, you can make a quick and tasty sauce by mixing a dessertspoon of cornflour with about 250mls of cold water. Remove the chicken and keep warm, then swirl the cornflour and water around in the dish to pick up all the juices and residues - there won't be any fat, as you've used skinless breasts. Put this in a small saucepan, bring to the boil and allow it to thicken, then pour over the chicken and serve with noodles or fried rice.

I usually do some stir-fried veggies as well, and I just use two chicken breasts and have the others cold, without the sauce, next day. BTW, this isn't my chicken - as usual, I didn't think to photograph it!

GingerLimeChicken_n_lg.jpg

did a similar dish to this about 20 years ago but we used to slice the chicken in to strips and wrap in to filo pastry purses,and serve on cucumber spaghetti

That looks glorious, honestly. I hope you don't mind if I take it on sometime. I just hope I can do as good a job as you did! I'm pretty sure the boyfriend will be thrilled. He's no fan of ginger, but I'm thinking this can change his mind.

Back
Top Bottom