Wyshiepoo

Veteran
Local time
2:02 PM
Entering this recipe to comply with the guidelines for the Test Kitchen thread.
Recipe is from Indian Cooking edited by Veronica Sperling and Christine McFadden.

4 chicken breasts
6 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, quartered and sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1" root ginger, finely chopped
1-2 fresh green chilies seeded and chopped
175g mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp medium curry powder
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp sesame seeds
150ml chicken stock
small tin chopped tomatoes
300ml coconut milk
salt
sprigs of coriander.

Cut breasts into 3 and lightly fry in 4 tbsp oil. Remove and reserve.

Add remaining oil and lghtly fry the onion, garlic, ginger, chillies, mushroom, curry powder, spices and sesame seeds for 3-4 minutes, stirring.

Stir in the stock, tomatoes and coconut milk, add salt and bring to boil.

Reduce heat, add reserved chicken, and simmer uncovered for about 12 mins until chicken is cooked and sauce has thickened, stir occasionally.

Garnish with coriander sprigs.

It looks like it should be a good recipe. Maybe the curry powder? Medium is such a generic term. What did you use exactly? Does the book have descriptions on the differences in curry powder? A lot of them do.

I would try this recipe but I have an intolerance to coconut milk so I wouldn't be able to taste it. My first thought is that any recipe which says use 'curry powder' is probably not going to be the best curry you ever tasted as so much depends on the quality and ingredients of the curry powder. I'd be inclined to use chilli powder instead and add some garam masala at the end of cooking.

Coconut milk has a tendency to make curry sweetish and bland. To my mind It works best in Thai style curries where ingredients such as lemongrass are used, to cut through the creaminess. You could possibly sub Thai red curry paste for the curry powder.

At least one of our books has recipes for their curry powders and pastes.

Also age of curry powder. Remember the last time I made my California chicken salad (a take on coronation chicken salad) I mentioned it didn't taste quite right and you suggested age.

Back
Top Bottom