Retro Recipe Chicken Liver Pate

murphyscreek

Veteran
Local time
4:04 PM
P1060325fb.jpg

Made this yesterday. Recipe courtesy of the late Margaret Fulton's 1971 cookbook "Entertaining With Margaret Fulton".

Ingredients

1 onion
1 clove of garlic
3 oz butter
8 oz chicken livers
1 bay leaf
few sprigs thyme or oregano (or pinch of dried)
2 teaspoons brandy
salt and pepper

Method
  1. Chop the onion finely and crush garlic.
  2. Heat 1 oz. butter and gently fry onion and garlic until onion is transparent.
  3. Add chicken livers and cook for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add crumbled bay leaf and thyme and cook a further I minute. Cool.
  5. Chop chicken livers, then pound with a wooden spoon or blend in a blender. Stir in remaining butter, melted, and brandy. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
  6. Pack into a mould and chill (or set mixture in a small crock and top with a little melted butter).
  7. Unmould the pâté before serving, place on tray and surround with hot toast or crisp crackers.
  8. Place a knife alongside the pate for spreading.

Capturefb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds wonderful. Like the dish I grew up with, but no one wrote down. I made a cheese souffle with a can of cheddar cheese soup, circa 1970s. It's so old, it's not on Campbell's website. Lol. It was actually very good.

Sounds wonderful. Like the dish I grew up with, but no one wrote down. I made a cheese souffle with a can of cheddar cheese soup, circa 1970s. It's so old, it's not on Campbell's website. Lol. It was actually very good.

That sounds wonderful. Another I crave from childhood but don't have a recipe for is apricot chicken made with tin apricots and a packet of dried french onion soup.

That sounds wonderful. Another I crave from childhood but don't have a recipe for is apricot chicken made with tin apricots and a packet of dried french onion soup.

Eureka. I think I found it.

3 Ingredient Apricot (Russian) Chicken
Mix 1 bottle of Russian or Catalina dressing with dry onion soup and apricot preserves. Pour over chicken and bake?

https://www.theseasonedmom.com/3-ingredient-apricot-glazed-chicken/

LOL. I remember those Lipton dehydrated soup recipes. I tore the recipe out of a magazine. I can still see the picture in my memory. Used to make the baked mushroom chicken & potatoes, and orange chicken. 1 small can of concentrated orange juice mixed with 1 or 2 packets of dry mushroom-onion soup. Bake till done. Have to make it again for old time's sake.

Eureka. I think I found it. Mix 1 bottle of French or Catalina dressing with dry onion soup and apricot preserves. Pour over chicken and bake?

https://www.theseasonedmom.com/3-ingredient-apricot-glazed-chicken/

LOL. I remember those Lipton dehydrated soup recipes. I tore the recipe out of a magazine. I can still see the picture in my memory. Used to make the baked mushroom chicken & potatoes, and orange chicken. 1 small can of concentrated orange juice mixed with 1 or 2 packets of dry mushroom-onion soup. Bake till done. Have to make it again for old time's sake.

Well done!! Will have to give it a go too for old times sake.

View attachment 30474

Made this yesterday. Recipe courtesy of the late Margaret Fulton's 1971 cookbook "Entertaining With Margaret Fulton".

View attachment 30473

Pretty much my recipe as well, thyme and parsley, no oregano. Plus a use Cointreau instead of sherry. And I use cream as well. It's really the best pate, I have livers in the freezer to make this soon.

Russ

3 Ingredient Apricot (Russian) Chicken
Mix 1 bottle of Russian or Catalina dressing with dry onion soup and apricot preserves. Pour over chicken and bake?

Following a visit to Mum yesterday and some googling whilst there, the version we had didn't even have the dressing. Below is the recipe, except Mum insists a crockpot was used, which is essentially the early version of what we now call a slow cooker. I might even make this today to have tonight.

IMG_20190809_091851.jpg

Last edited:
Following a visit to Mum yesterday and some googling whilst there, the version we had didn't even have the dressing. Below is the recipe, except Mum insists a crockpot was used, which is essentially the early version of what we now call a slow cooker. I might even make this today to have tonight.

View attachment 30546

Sounds yummy.

Russ

View attachment 30546

Even better. I have the dry onion-mushroom soup in the pantry. Sometimes I rehydrate it with a little water, and pour it over a roast with vegetables in the cooker.

Back
Top Bottom