Recipe Chicken Roasted in Spiced Yoghurt

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:05 AM
This is such an easy recipe and you can vary the spices to make it your own. Its just just three steps!

fullsizeoutput_3b17.jpeg

Ingredients
  • 1 whole chicken
  • 200g plain yoghurt
  • 1 heaped tsp ground chilli
  • 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp asafetida
  • 1 tsp salt
Method
  1. Mix the yoghurt and spices together.
  2. Place the chicken on a baking dish and smother with the yoghurt mixture. At this point you can leave it to marinate for up to 24 hrs.
  3. Roast at 180 C for approximately 1 and 1/2 hrs, depending on size of chicken. Serve hot or cold.

Last edited:
Devil's Dung?

What else could I use in place of asafoetida?

@morning glory - the chicken looks great and I'm sure it tastes wonderful.

Did you move so far from the original inspiration that you felt it was unnecessary to credit the author? or did you just forget?

I only ask because the author of the recipe was an inspiration to me as a cook 30/35 years ago and he seems to be largely forgotten these days. Even to the point where some people forget to credit his recipes ...

@morning glory - the chicken looks great and I'm sure it tastes wonderful.

Did you move so far from the original inspiration that you felt it was unnecessary to credit the author? or did you just forget?

I only ask because the author of the recipe was an inspiration to me as a cook 30/35 years ago and he seems to be largely forgotten these days. Even to the point where some people forget to credit his recipes ...

I think you are talking about a recipe for vegetables in yoghurt by Colin Spencer from a book which you recommended to me. This isn't based on that recipe. As it happens, I made it before I even saw that recipe! I then spotted the recipe because I was looking through my cookbooks for other ideas about cooking in yoghurt and came across it - but in that case it was vegetables cooked in yoghurt and not chicken and the spices are different.

There is a much more similar recipe in an Indian cookbook I have somewhere which roasts a whole chicken in yoghurt but that also uses different spices. Its not an unusual technique and its really rather more like tandoori chicken than anything else as Russ mentions.

Out of interest I was going to cook the vegetable recipe you mention so when I do I will post it and credit it. :D

Leave it out - use garam masala instead. Or really, just add any spices you like! But you know, although asafoetida smells very strong, it doesn't taste that way.

The asafoetida I'm told is to stop indigestion, something I read years ago. Put it in my Garam masala. The chicken you described I've seen in a book I have here somewhere. I think it's called mogul chicken?? I look later.

Russ

The asafoetida I'm told is to stop indigestion, something I read years ago. Put it in my Garam masala. The chicken you described I've seen in a book I have here somewhere. I think it's called mogul chicken?? I look later.

Russ

Russ

Mogul Chicken rings a bell. I tried to find the recipe for whole roast yoghurt chicken in my Indian cookbooks (I have quite a few). I found it in quite an old cookbook - different spices but similar idea but it wasn't called 'Mogul'. I'll take a photo of that recipe for this thread just for comparison.

As far as I'm concerned the recipe I came up with above is just a guide. I reckon that there could be many variations using different spices.

Back
Top Bottom