Home kook
Staff member
Local time
3:31 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
View attachment 29938
IMG_0684.JPG

I've replaced my sloppy picture (which looks like a messy plate of a sandwich with french fries) with the shredded end product. This actually looks good. See what happens when I'm not plating at 1:30 in the morning?

I'm fully aware that egg noodles would more typically be served with a paprikash, but these rigati noodles were low carb (and lower calorie), and the shape also holds the sauce better than an egg noodle.

The smoked paprika isn't spicy, but instead imparts a wonderful smoky flavor. Next time, I think I'll swap out 1 or 2 of the tablespoons of smoked paprika with hot Hungarian paprika.

I prepared this in an Instant Pot. I used to hate it when I'd see recipes for Instant Pot, because I didn't have one. But, what I write here can be done in a normal pressure cooker just as easily. The result was phenomenally juicy, so I'm not sure how likely it would be for me to do in a stove top pot, but it could likely be adapted to that method as well.

Ingredients

2 1/4 pounds chicken breast, boneless skinless
1 teaspoon kosher salt, adjusted to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium red onion, diced
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 lime, juiced
1/2 cup light sour cream
1 tablespoon parsley, dried

Directions

1. Generously season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pot of the Instant pot, and set to Saute. Alternately, heat pressure cooker pot on medium, and add the oil. Cook chicken on both sides until just slightly browned, then remove from pot.

IMG_0678.JPG

2. Add remaining oil to the pot, then add onion. Stir to coat, then cook for about 5 minutes, stirring to prevent burning. Add garlic, stir to coat, and cook for another minute, stirring continuously.

3. Stir in paprika to form a paste, then add chicken back to the pot. Stir to coat.

IMG_0679.JPG

4. Add chicken stock to pot, scraping the bottom to get all the browned bits. Seal pot and cook for 20 minutes. If using a stove top pressure cooker, cook for 15 minutes. Use quick release to open the pot.

IMG_0681.JPG

5. Juice a whole lime. Stir cornstarch into the juice, then add a cup of the sauce from the cook pot into the cornstarch mixture. When fully blended, add back to the cook pot. Change setting to Saute and cook until sauce thickens. If using a stove top pot, heat on medium until the sauce thickens.

6. Add sour cream and parsley to the pot, stirring thoroughly. Add salt to taste.

IMG_0682.JPG

7. Shred chicken breast with two forks. Serve over pasta or with dumplings.

Attachments

• IMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0680.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited by a moderator:
It looks better. :thumbsup:

Great to have step by step pics. I so often forget to do that.
I should count how many times I have to wash my hands, and then dry then thoroughly, to unlock my phone so I can take these pictures. I'm right-handed, and I use my right thumb to unlock the phone, so this can get to be ridiculous.

Last edited:
^^^ Weird for a cook, maybe, but I'm slightly nutty about having anything on my hands, so when I'm cooking, the faucet pretty much stays on a low flow, because it's chop onions (must rinse hands!), mince garlic (must rinse hands!), dice carrots (must rinse hands!), and so on.

I've replaced my sloppy picture (which looks like a messy plate of a sandwich with french fries) with the shredded end product. This actually looks good. See what happens when I'm not plating at 1:30 in the morning?

Admittedly, the sloppy picture is messy but in some ways I preferred the look of the whole chicken breasts smothered in red sauce over that of the shredded chicken. In any case, well done @The Late Night Gourmet .

Back
Top Bottom