The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
10:12 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
53066df6-ae3d-4f9f-adcf-37b96b54c413-jpeg.jpg

Don’t be scared: remember, sushi can be cooked, too (I think it’s an unspoken rule of this forum that we shouldn’t post recipes that can potentially put someone in the hospital).

This might just be the most fun I’ve had in a very long time making a recipe. And, believe it or not, it wasn’t that hard.

Serving suggestion shown above: a shot of tequila, served in a shot glass from Mexico (Cancun). Altos is very good for the price. This is an Añejo, a tequila aged for up to a year. You can taste the oak with every sip. To be honest, a lager really goes better with this than the tequila.

The lime is for all of the above or neither. Everything stands up on its own merits, but I do like the effect that lime has. It seems to always make Mexican food taste better.

There are toasted cumin seeds in the rice. Are there supposed to be cumin seeds in the rice? Of course there are! The Japanese people have been making sushi wrong all these years.

I did grind my own chicken (something I expect to see from @detroitdad soon enough!) but buying it already ground makes this a not-too-difficult recipe.

I also wanted to drizzle the sriracha in a decorative pattern over the top of the sushi, but mine was getting a bit old, and it came out in unappealing blops. Still tasty, but not pretty.

Ingredients

2 flour tortillas (8 inch)
4 ounces ground chicken breast
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1 medium garlic clove(s), grated
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 medium scallion, chopped
1 teaspoon cilantro
3/4 cups cooked white rice
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1/4 medium avocado, cut in strips
2 tablespoons fat free Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil

Directions

1. Toast cumin seeds in a pan on medium heat until the aromatics are released and the seeds are browned somewhat. Remove from pan and allow to cool.

2. Blend chicken with the pepper, garlic, salt, and half of the cumin to form a chicken chorizo. Refrigerate for at least half an hour.

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

3. Roll the chorizo into a tube that's about 1/2" in diameter. Pan cook until browned on all sides and cooked through. Allow to cool.

IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG

4. Cut the curves off each side of the tortillas to form a square shape.

IMG_0803.JPG

5. Spread the rice on the tortillas almost to the edges. Sprinkle the remaining cumin seeds on the rice.

IMG_0804.JPG

6. Place the cooked chorizo on the rice at one end of each tortilla. Lay strips of avocado parallel to the chorizo. Wet the edges of the tortilla where there's no rice. Roll the tortillas up tightly, ensuring that the wet edges stick to the outside of the tortilla.

IMG_0805.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG

7. Refrigerate sushi rolls for at least half an hour. Cut each roll into 6 pieces.

8. Blend yogurt with sriracha, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Place a dollop on each sushi piece. Sprinkle green onions and cilantro on top to finish. Serve chilled.

Love it - but I wouldn't call it sushi!
Thanks!

Out of interest, would you call this sushi:

65d707387f13378d9187af7002f19625.jpg

The main difference is the protein (cooked shrimp vs cooked chicken). In a traditional sushi roll, I would use nori (seaweed wrap) instead of the tortilla here. I was skeptical, too (I would have called it a "cold burrito"), until I thought of it that way.

I did grind my own chicken (something I expect to see from @detroitdad soon enough!) but buying it already ground makes this a not-too-difficult recipe.

My grinder came in the mail yesterday. My plan is to open it up and get the parts in the freezer that need to be. I'm off on THUR. I plan on making curry chicken patties. Chicken is already frozen. I probably will need to let it defrost some before grinding it?

My grinder came in the mail yesterday. My plan is to open it up and get the parts in the freezer that need to be. I'm off on THUR. I plan on making curry chicken patties. Chicken is already frozen. I probably will need to let it defrost some before grinding it?
Is the chicken cut into chunks already? If it's been in the freezer overnight, then the chicken will likely be like a bag of rocks. I would put it in the refrigerator until it just starts to feel soft on the surface: still frozen, but not frozen solid.

Craig's brother made chicken sushi for a 4th of July party one year. He dyed the rice blue and used strips of chicken breast and roasted red bell pepper.

I'd make something like this (not calling it chicken sushi) using boneless skinless chicken thigh meat.
I have done that, too: chicken thighs do have more flavor. But, in Weight Watchersese, the thigh = 2 points for 3 ounces, whereas the breast = 0 points. I can eat as much as I want!

Maybe, "chicken wrap bites"
Yes...I can see that. But, I wanted to stretch the definition of "sushi" here (plus, it does make you want to see what the heck I'm talking about, even though it's misleading).

Back
Top Bottom