The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
1:06 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
A02F7121-9DDB-4EE5-88F4-0DF3B37A0852.jpeg

In my continuing quest to get healthier, I find myself in Asia. I normally would have used oil as part of the marinade, and oil to blend with the garlic and ginger. I also have used half-and-half instead of skim milk, and served it with basmati rice. I really don't miss these.

This recipe isn't as hard to make as it might seem. You can do the marinade the night before, and you can just buy the cauliflower rice if you want to save the time there. By the way, I didn't season the rice because I wanted the Tikka to stand out. But, I do will a pic of seasoned rice tomorrow...along with the ultra-light Naan bread I didn't have time to make last night.

As prepared, this is 216 calories per serving (6 servings) and loaded with protein, potassium, and vitamin C.

Tikka Masala with Cauliflower Rice Nutrition.JPG

Ingredients

1 pound chicken breast, cut in large chunks
1/2 cup ginger, freshly grated
1/2 cup garlic, freshly grated
1 cup fat free Greek yogurt
1 serrano pepper, diced (seeded if you want a milder Tikka)
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
2 tablespoons light butter
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 teaspoons paprika
6 on-the-vine tomatoes, cored and diced (retain seeds)
1/2 head cauliflower
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 tablespoon fenugreek leaves, ground
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 ounce fresh cilantro, for garnish

Directions

1. Trim any remaining fat from the chicken. Combine 1/2 of ginger and 1/2 of garlic with yogurt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of salt. Thoroughly coat chicken and marinade for 1 hour in refrigerator, or up to overnight.

2. Add butter to a large non-stick pan on medium heat, then add remaining garlic, ginger, and Serrano pepper. Stir occasionally (I use the edge of a spatula) until the mixture starts to brown.

7E3A03A1-975A-4E67-B8D3-D80CE0EB38EE.jpeg

3. Stir in garam masala and paprika, and cook for 1 more minute to release the flavors of the spices.

2EC2F920-90A0-462C-9501-9683D4B62700.jpeg

4. Add tomatoes, scraping up whatever sticks to the pan, and cook on medium heat for 2 minutes. Raise the heat to a boil, then lower to a simmer for another 20 minutes with no cover on the pan.

NOTE: I've found that tomatoes are cut much more easily with a bread knife. I saw this on Worst Cooks in America, and I've put it to use whenever I have to cut tomatoes.

8774704C-7DD7-4A2F-9CC6-4F681F9CB2F0.jpeg

NOTE: the following can be done in a pan, but you'll miss out on the amazing flavor imparted by the grill. You might want to put foil down on the bottom of your grill to catch dripping yogurt. Also, don't worry about the chicken cooking through here, as the last part of the recipe will complete the cooking process.

5. While the mixture is simmering, lightly brush your gas or wood-fired grill with oil. Fire up your grill, then lower flames to medium. Carefully place the marinaded chicken on the grill (so it doesn't fall through!) and cook for 2 minutes per side. Set aside.

IMG_1346.JPG

NOTE: microwaving the grated cauliflower will make it soggy!

6. Grate half a head of cauliflower with a box grater. Place cauliflower in a pan on medium heat and cook for 10 minutes, stirring to ensure equal cooking.

B47719E7-2784-4FC7-8F50-EBC4703FE4DC.jpeg

7. When the sauce in the pan (from step 3) is done cooking, pour it into a blender and puree. Pour back into the pan.

8. Grind fenugreek leaves in a spice grinder (I use a coffee grinder that I never use for coffee). These can be found at any Asian grocery store. The seeds and powder are much more intense, so use a teaspoon instead of a tablespoon if making that substitution.

5D89150D-6F7B-4676-A8AF-957C313C7700.jpeg

9. Add fenugreek and chicken to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in milk. Serve over cauliflower rice.

5FF8E002-2295-4F56-B539-E22A12AD5269.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you all the way with that chicken tikka - but you would have a hard time persuading me to eat cauliflower rice. I tried it once and was unconvinced. I'd rather have zero calorie 'rice' (its a strange product - you can get noodles too), but I rather like it. And it really does have no calories! Have you tried it?

I'm with you all the way with that chicken tikka - but you would have a hard time persuading me to eat cauliflower rice. I tried it once and was unconvinced. I'd rather have zero calorie 'rice' (its a strange product - you can get noodles too), but I rather like it. And it really does have no calories! Have you tried it?
I know that cauliflower "rice" isn't the same thing as basmati, and it's not much by itself. But, I really like how pan cooking dried up the normally watery vegetable, and the sweetness of the cauliflower also works nicely with the spiciness of the tikka (I kept the seeds in my pepper).

Is it this? I've never heard of it, but I will certainly try it if I can find it.

007572_A.png

That is the very one. There is another one available but this one is better. Beware - the smell when you open the packet is not nice (like gone off fish) - but it doesn't taste like that after cooking!

That is the very one. There is another one available but this one is better. Beware - the smell when you open the packet is not nice (like gone off fish) - but it doesn't taste like that after cooking!
There's also a Slim Noodles product that looks like it's by the same maker. The label refers to konjac flour (which is very expensive) and oat fiber. It looks like they're mail-order only from the States.

There's also a Slim Noodles product that looks like it's by the same maker. The label refers to konjac flour (which is very expensive) and oat fiber. It looks like they're mail-order only from the States.

I bought mine via Amazon in a multi pack. It works out about £1.80 per packet ($2.50). Obviously rice is much cheaper but its not too expensive - each pack is 2 servings.

I bought mine via Amazon in a multi pack. It works out about £1.80 per packet ($2.50). Obviously rice is much cheaper but its not too expensive - each pack is 2 servings.
It's considerably more expensive over here: $8.55 for 1 pack (£6.14)...at least they offer free shipping.

I thought I might be able to work around this by using amazon.co.uk. The price per pack is indeed what you say, but now I have to pay for shipping...£76.77 for that alone! :eek:

What are they doing: booking a flight and hand-delivering it to me?

I've never tried "cauliflower rice" although I do eat cauliflower with (Jasmin) rice sometimes. I've not really experimented with any additions to plain steamed rice except for turmeric and cardamoms. Fried rice is a different kettle of fish - I add all sorts of ingredients to that (if I fry it myself).

Back
Top Bottom