5) Scallion - 1
6) Jalapeno pepper - 1 large
7) Tomato puree - 1/8 cup
8) Basil - 2 tspns.
9) Thyme - 1 tspn.
10) Rosemary - tspn.

Procedure:

-- Preparation --

1) Cross slice the chicken half breast into pieces.
2) Cross slice the tomatoes.
3) Dice the garlic cloves.
4) Cross cut the scallion, including the greens.
5) Cross slice the jalapeno pepper.

-- Cook and Serve --

6) Melt the butter in a frying pan.
7) Pan fry the chicken pieces in the frying pan until done and browned.
8) Add chicken to a stewing pot.
9) Pan fry the tomato, jalapeno and garlic in butter.
10) Add to the stewing pot.
11) Add scallion and tomato puree to pot.
12) Add spices to pot.
13) Cook on low heat (175F) for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
14) Ladle into bowls and serve.

Some good flavours here - although I don't think this is technically a fricassée (unless it has a different meaning in the US). A fricassée has a white sauce.

Having said this a found this reference:

In the Spanish Caribbean, one of the more popular dishes is fricasé de pollo (chicken fricassee). It was brought to the islands by settlers from the south of France and Spain. Unlike French style fricassee, it has a tomato-based sauce usually with red wine.[15]

So maybe you have made a Spanish Caribbean style fricassée!

Some good flavours here - although I don't think this is technically a fricassée (unless it has a different meaning in the US). A fricassée has a white sauce.

Having said this a found this reference:

So maybe you have made a Spanish Caribbean style fricassée!

No. It's a flyinglentris style fricassee.

Fricassee is more of a method of cooking rather than a particular recipe.

Quite true. Cassee means to cut in French and 'fri' is to fry. Therefore, to fricasse is to fry cuts of a meat. In this case, the cut chicken is fried in butter first. Then it is stewed with the other ingredients. It is possible to turn the sauce whitish by adding milk or cheese, yes. Or a white sauce fricassee might exclude tomato altogether, but I can't imagine that.

Fricassee is more of a method of cooking rather than a particular recipe.

I know its not a particular recipe. I was going by the classic French cooking definition from Larousse that I was familiar with. In terms of the 'method' as I understand it, it means meat (often chicken) stewed without browning first and served in a white sauce made from the stock.

I know its not a particular recipe. I was going by the classic French cooking definition from Larousse that I was familiar with. In terms of the 'method' as I understand it, it means meat (often chicken) stewed without browning first and served in a white sauce made from the stock.
Basically but it's not stewed but sauteed gently without any color. Stewed is in a liquid, which is a wet method of cooking and a fricassee is in an oil which is considered a dry cooking method, and a white sauce is classic with chicken. Cheers.

That's definitely wrong. The meat is browned first. It resembles at best, a sort of braised stew, but is not truly braised.

The fricassee wiki bears out your claim to white sauce, but I found examples on the web that used tomato red sauce and I took my lead from those examples, particularly a recipe called 'abruzzi' style. However, my version is not 'abruzzi' style as it does not include large vegetables and cherry tomatoes, but my own choice of ingredients and a heavier tomato impact.

It is because of the heavier tomato impact, that I named it "chicken tomato fricassee." No oil is used, unless you consider the butter, an oil. No water is used, just the tomato puree.

That's definitely wrong. The meat is browned first. It resembles at best, a sort of braised stew, but is not truly braised.

The fricassee wiki bears out your claim to white sauce, but I found examples on the web that used tomato red sauce and I took my lead from those examples, particularly a recipe called 'abruzzi' style. However, my version is not 'abruzzi' style as it does not include large vegetables and cherry tomatoes, but my own choice of ingredients and a heavier tomato impact.
The meat is generally cooked without color and not browned at all.

Here's the abruzzi example that inspired me. The chicken is seared/browned.
The author says "chicken Fricassee literally means cut up and fried chicken" which is their interpretation of the meaning, which is fine they can say anything they want in a particular recipe, but it's not technically a friccasse and goes on to say they like the skin crispy. That is basically fried chicken with tomatoes and other ingredients added.

Basically but it's not stewed but sauteed gently without any color. Stewed is in a liquid, which is a wet method of cooking and a fricassee is in an oil which is considered a dry cooking method, and a white sauce is classic with chicken. Cheers.

Well, as I said I'm going by Larousse and yes the meat is usually sautéed in oil so its not browned - that was what I meant by 'not browning first'. I should have been more specific. But it does usually continue cooking in the (liquid) sauce I think, which is why I said 'stewed'. It was probably the wrong word.

Well, as I said I'm going by Larousse and yes the meat is usually sautéed in oil so its not browned - that was what I meant by 'not browning first'. I should have been more specific. But it does usually continue cooking in the (liquid) sauce I think, which is why I said 'stewed'. It was probably the wrong word.
No, your right. It only starts with one cooking method and finishes with another, which is the basic technique for a fricassee.

Back
Top Bottom