Recipe Chicken Vesuvio

mjd

Veteran
Local time
10:35 PM
A scrapbooking buddy shared this with me when she learned that I'm from Chicago. I've never heard of it before I read this (I've made similar dishes but didn't necessarily name them). I haven't made it yet but it sounds yummy. I'll post back here after I've tried it.

Chicken Vesuvio - an Italian-American chicken dinner in a skillet with potatoes, garlic, snap peas and carrots. It is popular in Chicago.

Chicken-Vesuvio-Dinner-in-a-Skillet-3.jpg

Course Main Dish
Cuisine Italian

Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes

Servings 4
Calories 509 kcal

Author Michele @ Flavor Mosaic

Ingredients

4 chicken thighs (bone-in with skin)
4 small red potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 onion , sliced
2 cloves garlic , minced
2 tablespoon olive oil , divided
salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 16-ounce bag sugar snap peas and carrots , thawed
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley (flat-leaf parsley)

Instructions

1. In a large skillet, preferably a cast iron skillet, add 1 tablespoon oil and add the chopped potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on medium heat. Turn occasionally.

2. After the potatoes have cooked for about 8 minutes, add sliced onions and cover the pan and cook for another 8 minutes.

3. While the potatoes cook, sprinkle chicken on all sides with salt and pepper.

4. In a separate large skillet, preferably a cast iron skillet, over medium-high heat, add oil and chicken thighs skin-side down and cook for 7-8 minutes or until skin is browned.

5. Turn chicken. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper, if desired. Add the minced garlic and stir.

6. Pour in the white wine and chicken broth. Then add the potatoes and onions. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.

7. Add the sugar snap peas and carrots. Cover and cook for 7 more minutes.

8. Sprinkle the Chicken Vesuvio with chopped parsley and serve hot.

Notes

Cooking time for the chicken depends on the size and thickness of the chicken pieces. If you have larger, thicker pieces of chicken, they may take more time to cook. Smaller pieces may take less time to cook.

Source: Flavor Mosaic
Chicken Vesuvio - Dinner in a Skillet - Flavor Mosaic

Back
Top Bottom