Recipe & Video Chiko Roll

murphyscreek

Veteran
Local time
10:16 PM
So a Chiko Roll is an iconic Australian takeaway food item that's been around since the early 1950's. Designed to be hand held, and very loosely based on Chinese style spring rolls (egg rolls). As soon as I saw cabbage as the challenge ingredient, I knew I had to have a crack at doing a homemade version, as every Aussie knows a Chiko Roll is mostly filled with cabbage.

Recipe

Ingredients

1 and 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
1 carrot diced
1 stick celery diced
1/2 onion diced
300gms lamb mince
2 chicken stock cubes
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp butter
1 cup bread flour
1 egg
1 egg beaten
4-5 tbsp iced water
Oil for frying

Method

Combine bread flour, egg, and enough iced water to make a loose dough.
Turn on to bench, and bring together and knead for 10 minutes.
Flour bench if sticking.
Roll in to ball, wrap in clingfilm, and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
Cut dough in to four.
Roll out each portion to form an approximately 25cm-20cm sheet.
Refrigerate the four sheets for another hour, separating each sheet with clingfilm.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a frypan and saute cabbage, onion, celery and carrots for 5-6 minutes.
Add lamb, stock cubes, and pepper and continue to saute until lamd starts to brown.
Stir in plain flour, and then after 1-2 minutes take off heat and let mixture cool.
Lay a wrapper out, and place 1/4 mixture along centre, leaving room to brush egg wash on to three edges where the seal will be when rolled up.
Fold unsealed edge over mixture, fold sides in, then continue rolling up to form a roll.
Place back in fridge for 1/2 an hour.
Deep fry, turning as necessary until golden brown.
Allow to drain on a wire rack.

View: https://youtu.be/c1kUjlt__H0

What a splendid, wholesome snack! It does look very appealing. Deep fried food has something magical about it, no doubt. I love the fact it has both meat and vegetables in it, plus the carbohydrates in the crust. One cannot really remain hungry after eating these. So the tradition has it it is with lamb. Just for curiosity's sake, would it work with other meat mince as well?
Would you be traditionally having a dip along? What would it be?
I like the short sauteing 5-6 minutes, I would assume the vegetables still have a bit of crunch to them, which to me is a preference.

Back
Top Bottom