Recipe Chili Bowl with Beef and Pinto Beans

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
4:17 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
chili-dished.jpg

Use a steak or meat not meant for long term cooking. Mine was labeled “Beef fajita meat”, and it resembled skirt steak already sliced up when thawed. Flank or flat iron steak would also work here. One could use ground/minced meat, but I find that the taste/texture experience of the chili with meat chopped into small pieces as in this recipe provides a different approach.

chili-canned.jpg

You can switch out the pinto beans for whatever other beans you have to hand. This recipe uses canned beans – for dried beans, soak them overnight, rinse, add back some water, and then roughly measure and use.

For the tomatoes, I prefer to use a product with few if any additional ingredients. I like the chunky heterogeneity of stewed or whole canned tomatoes – if you use whole canned tomatoes, coarsely chop those.

chili-about-to-cook.jpg

As far as toppings go: if serving for your family or friends, allow them to top their chili as they choose. Provide shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro – and possibly a small bottle of hot sauce!

chili-served.jpg

Prep Time: 10 minutes.
Cook Time: 40 minutes.
Rest Time: Not needed.
Serves: 3-4.
Cuisine: Tex-Mex.
Leftovers: YES!

Chili Bowl with Beef and Pinto Beans

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 can (15.5 oz / 440 g) Pinto Beans. If you drain, add back an equivalent amount of water.
  • 1 can (14.5 oz / 410 g) stewed tomatoes.
  • 1 medium large yellow or white onion, diced, about 1/4 inch cubes.
  • 0.25 pounds beef, diced – about 1/4 inch cubes. This was fajita/skirt steak.
  • 1 dried guajillo pepper, de-seeded and chopped finely.
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder (I used a medium mild powder)
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder (add more if you wish)
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt.
OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:

• Cheese, Ideally choose either Oaxaca or young (meltable) cotija Mexican cheeses. If not available, go for cheddar or Monterey jack, Shred the cheeses, yourself. Never buy the pre-shredded stuff.
  • A dollop of sour cream.
  • Cilantro (coriander leaf), coarsely chopped.
METHOD:

Add all the Ingredients (NOT the toppings) together in a pan. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a good simmer. Cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed – you don’t want this to burn or to go dry.

When serving, individuals should choose their preferred toppings.

Suggested sides: Rice; Salad. Perhaps a simple veggie tamale or three. Or, an ear of roasted corn?

Back
Top Bottom