Chillis-what do you use

Berties

Guru
Local time
5:33 AM
after visiting a Chilli farm last week ,and trying some different varieties of chilli,from the hottest bhut ghost chilli and the Dorset naga,what chillies do you use and for what,i use chipotle for dips and mayonnaises,habanero and scotch bonnet in chills and curries,and jalapeños in burgers ,so the whole scoville scale covered for me,what about you

I grow my own chillis and currently have a good supply of dried Apache at home. I use them all the time in cooking, so it makes sense for me to grow my own - it saves me a fortune!

It would be a shorter list to include what I do not use. I am the type of person who attempts the melt-your-face-pepper challenge at a local restaurant. I love to incorporate any style of pepper into every meal I make. Making it especially difficult because I can't go all out like I would prefer because the rest of my family hates me...I mean peppers.

I use all the chilis which are currently available to me here in Nakhorn Nowhere. Red or green cayenne and Thai hot together for chili con carne and the salsa which I have just now finished making. Thai hot for Indian and Thai curries. Pepperoncini or Fesno for salads where heat is not a requirement. Prik kee noo (literally "rat sh1t chili") for tom yam.

Which variety of chili?
If he is talking about the ones in the can they are just labeled green chili peppers. You can also buy them fresh or roasted at certain times of the year. Our fresh green chilis come from Hatch New Mexico.
Though I do want to tell Todd if he is using the canned chili peppers to read the label as they come in mild, medium and hot. Or at least they sell all three in Texas. The only person I know in Missouri says she can't get good Mexican food.

Here is quite a succinct guide to some of the chillies used in Mexican food (including the Hatch) . But there are really so many types of chillies and the green ones can be hot too!

https://www.thespruce.com/types-of-green-or-fresh-chiles-2342638
I know and I actually went and read my can of green chilis.
In our grocery store, we can get pablanos, Anaheim, haberneros, jalapeños and a couple of others fresh any day of the week. And on the Hatch, the stores actually bring in big roasters to roast them after buying. Many people buy bags of them. 11 kg or 22 kg bags. Maybe 5.5 kg too.
I appreciate the link but I must tell you that the town I live in is 45% Mexican. So Mexican foods are predominant here. Both restaurants and in the stores.
Our grocery stores have aisles dedicated to Mexican food. And many stores sell fresh made daily flour tortillas. (Which look nothing like the ones Yorky posted a while back.) His were way too thin.
Now funny one on Masa Harina. The non-Mexican brand is on the flour aisle and is twice the price of the Mexican brands on the Ethnic aisle. Masa Harina is literally corn flour. Sometimes the corn is treated with lime first. Up north, they call tortillas made with the treated corn some fancy name. Down here, it is the cheaper corn flour.

I know and I actually went and read my can of green chilis.
In our grocery store, we can get pablanos, Anaheim, haberneros, jalapeños and a couple of others fresh any day of the week. And on the Hatch, the stores actually bring in big roasters to roast them after buying. Many people buy bags of them. 11 kg or 22 kg bags. Maybe 5.5 kg too.
I appreciate the link but I must tell you that the town I live in is 45% Mexican. So Mexican foods are predominant here. Both restaurants and in the stores.
Our grocery stores have aisles dedicated to Mexican food. And many stores sell fresh made daily flour tortillas. (Which look nothing like the ones Yorky posted a while back.) His were way too thin.
Now funny one on Masa Harina. The non-Mexican brand is on the flour aisle and is twice the price of the Mexican brands on the Ethnic aisle. Masa Harina is literally corn flour. Sometimes the corn is treated with lime first. Up north, they call tortillas made with the treated corn some fancy name. Down here, it is the cheaper corn flour.

I'd love to go into those stores!

I like all kinds of chillies. Luckily I can buy almost any kind on-line from the Chilli Farm but increasingly, supermarkets stock different types. I cook a lot of Asian type recipes so I use them a lot. One type I use a lot is scotch bonnet which has a fruity flavour.

I like all kinds of chillies. Luckily I can buy almost any kind on-line from the Chilli Farm but increasingly, supermarkets stock different types. I cook a lot of Asian type recipes so I use them a lot. One type I use a lot is scotch bonnet which has a fruity flavour.

Do you mean the Chilli Farm in Devon?

Curiously, there is very little choice in the type of chili you get here. Red, green. That's it. No hot, medium, mild... No rating for heat, nothing. Just red or green. Sometimes they are large, othertimes they are small. Curiously though,even the small red chilies don't seem to be that hot. I'm now growing my own. In the course of growing them however, I have discovered that both chickens and possums can't sense the heat/hotness of a chili and will much through dozens of them quite happily!

Back
Top Bottom