Chimpanzees prefer cooked food!

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
12:21 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
So, I read this article and I thought my fellow cooking fans here would find it interesting! It's about research that shows that chimpanzees not only prefer cooked food, but seem to actually understand the process of cooking.

Interesting, right?

You can read more at this link, but I've included some of the article below too! http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2015/06/03/4247730.htm

In the first test, scientists placed a slice of sweet potato in a hot pan, without butter or oil, and offered it to the chimps alongside a raw sample.

The chimps vastly preferred cooked potato, they established.

The next step was to probe whether the animals understood how the food transformation worked.

For this, the team used a fake "cooking device" -- a plastic container with a false bottom concealing a piece of cooked potato.

A slice of raw potato was placed in the top, the lid replaced and the container shaken in front of the chimps before a cooked piece was removed from the secret chamber and offered to them.

There were also other, clearly distinguishable containers that did not "transform" the food when shaken.

After the demonstration, the chimps could choose between the two types of containers, not knowing their contents -- and opted for the "cooking device" more often than not.

Back
Top Bottom