Recipe Chinese Eggplant with Garlic Sauce

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
9:21 AM
chinese-eggplant-garlic-sauce.jpeg

Here’s what you’ll need:

For the sauce mixture:
1 tablespoon spicy bean paste (douban la jiang)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon shaoxing wine
1 teaspoon fish sauce

For the rest of the dish:
2-3 medium Chinese eggplants (about 6 cups)
2 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths
3 tablespoons oil
4 oz. ground pork
2 thin slices ginger, julienned
10 dried red chilies
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon shaoxing wine

• Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
  • Wash the eggplants, cut the ends off and slice them into equal sized pieces. After slicing, separate the green and white portions of the scallions into roughly two piles.
  • Over very high heat, heat a tablespoon of oil in your wok. Add half of the eggplant and let it sear until brown on all sides.
  • You can lower the heat if it looks like they’re starting to burn. You want to cook the eggplant for about 5 minutes until
  • they start to get soft and have a nice sear. Take this first batch of eggplant out of the pan, heat a second tablespoon of oil, and do the same with your second batch. Set all the cooked eggplant aside on a plate.
  • Set the heat to medium high and add the last tablespoon of oil to the wok, along with the ground pork. After the pork has browned, add the ginger and cook for a minute to let it crystalize with the pork.
  • Stir in the whole red chili peppers and the minced garlic, and after a minute, turn the heat back up to high.
  • Add the eggplant back in, along with the stir-fry sauce, the white parts of the scallions, and the shaoxing wine. Stir-fry everything together for another 2 minutes, making sure everything is well-combined.
  • Toss in the rest of the scallions and stir-fry for another 20 seconds.
Serve immediately with rice!

http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/08/chinese-eggplant-garlic-sauce/

Om gosh that looks so good and the colors are amazing. I know this is something that I would really enjoy. This is a recipe that I have to try. These are the kinds of dishes that I really enjoy! Sounds very flavorful! :)

I like the looks of this myself. The only thing is that I see something (the type wine) I am not familiar with but that does not put me off. I know how to substitute stuff. When I am done with something like this it will be called 'Bajan Eggplant with Garlic Sauce'.....

I like the looks of this myself. The only thing is that I see something (the type wine) I am not familiar with but that does not put me off. I know how to substitute stuff. When I am done with something like this it will be called 'Bajan Eggplant with Garlic Sauce'.....
Its rice wine. Traditionally, the substitute is sherry, but possibly you can't get that either? A dry white wine would work OK. Or just leave it out. The other ingredients are intense tasting anyway!

I like this recipe. It gives me an opportunity to use up some of my douban la jiang that I bought recently. I shall give this a try. Like Morning glory suggested, I'll leave out the alcohol since I have none of the substitutes available. Thank you for this recipe.

Back
Top Bottom