This Sichuan Spicy Boiled Fish is one of the most popular dishes from Sichuan, China. It makes up a very special weekend dinner. The fish is tender, fresh, and juicy. The spiciness matches the delicacy of the fish and tastes amazing! I hope you will enjoy
- 500 g Pangasius Fish Fillets
- 2 small Romaine Lettuce, sliced
- 100 g Carrot, julienned
- 6 long Dry Chili Peppers, cut in small pieces
- 1 tsp Sichuan Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Chinese Cooking Wine
- 1 Egg White
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Ginger, minced
- 4 large Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 Spring Onions, chopped (white+light green parts, save dark green parts for the garnish)
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Chinese 13 Spices Mix
- 3 tbsp LAOGANMA (Chinese Spicy Sauce) with Peanuts and Dried Tofu
- 1 tsp Chili Oil
- Slice the fish into medium-size pieces and place in a bowl. Add Salt, Black Pepper, and Chinese Cooking Wine. Mix well. Then add the Egg White and Cornstarch. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Prepare the Romaine Lettuce, Carrot, Fish Sauce, and other ingredients in separate bowls.
- Boil a pot of Water, add the Lettuce, Carrot, pinches of Salt, and Vegetable Oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes, drain the water, and place in a serving bowl.
- In a wok, on high heat, bring Water to boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low, add the Fish Fillets one by one into the water. Cook the Fish until it turns milky white and a bit curve. Drain the water and place the Fish on top of the cooked veggies in the serving bowl.
- Spread the Fish Sauce evenly over the top.
- Heat the wok to medium-high. Add 1/2 cup of Vegetable Oil, then add in the Dry Peppers and Sichuan Peppercorns and fry for about 20 seconds. Add the Sesame Seeds.
- Pour all the Oil with Peppers on top of the Fish in the serving bowl. You will see the Oil bubbling.
- Before serving, garnish with dark green parts of the Onions. Ready to enjoy!
Get the printable recipe here: Chinese Sichuan Spicy Boiled Fish 四川水煮鱼 - COOK COOK GO