Recipe Chocolate Chip Traybake.

Wyshiepoo

Veteran
Local time
3:11 PM
Entering recipe to comply with Test kitchen guidelines.

Originally found this recipe in a book which I can't find at the moment, but I also found it on the internet reproduced identically even down to the mistake (if that's what it is) of the gas mark 2 = 190°C.

100g butter
100g soft brown sugar
50g caster sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
100g plain flour
½ tsp bicarb
pinch salt
100g chocolate chips.

Cream butter and sugars.
add egg and vanilla
stir in flour, bicarb and salt
Stir in chocolate chips.

Spoon into a greased and floured 12in square tray and bake for 15 mins at gas mark 2 190°C 375°F for 15 mins until golden.

(Gas mark 2 is not 190°C it's more like 150°C)????

Is bicarb baking soda? Just want to be sure since we've run across differences in terminology before. If so, it needs an acid to work correctly and the recipe doesn't have one. I would think baking powder would be more appropriate.

[Mod.Edit: moved from previous thread due to change in policy (MG) - sorry for confusion!]

Now this one I would really like some help on. I've made several attempts over the years and each time its ended in abject failure much to my family's amusement. In each case the traybake rises but then quickly collapses leaving a kind of biscuit thin (but still quite tasty) layer in the bottom of the tray.
I suppose the easy answer is to give up and just use another recipe but I'm not built that way, it annoys me that it doesn't work!

I found the recipe in a book but I've also found it copied identically on the internet including the disparity in cooking temperature.

My own thoughts are that possibly a 12" square tray is too large for the amount of mix but I've tried a smaller tray with no better results.

And I've tried the two different temperatures with again, no really different results.

Would be grateful if someone could try it and see if they get better results, perhaps I'm over mixing or something? Or if someone knowledgeable could say "Aha, there's your problem."

Incidentally, someone once said that to them the recipe looked more like for an American thingy called a 'blondie'.

Recipe - Chocolate Chip Traybake.

I didn't know what your "tray bake" was, until I read the recipe. If it were me, I would swap out the butter for some shortening. That's what I did to my mom's recipe for Chocolate chip cookies to make them more "fluffy" than hers made with margarine. That's all I got.

BTW, yes, a "blondie" is basically a chocolate chip cookie version of a "brownie" in the US.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
Is bicarb baking soda? Just want to be sure since we've run across differences in terminology before. If so, it needs an acid to work correctly and the recipe doesn't have one. I would think baking powder would be more appropriate.

Yes, we would call it baking soda here.

CD

Also, I haven't weighed it out and can't really see the conversions in my head since grams to ounces/cups is something I can't do without actually weighing out, but I think you might be right about the size of the pan.

And why in the world would they be using grams in 1 part of recipe and inches in another? That doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Yes, we would call it baking soda here.

CD
I figured it was, but wanted him to answer to be absolutely sure.

Also, I wanted him to answer because my son-in-law didn't know there was a difference between sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk...

I thought bicarb and baking powder were slightly different ingredients?

I'll have to Google it now.

I figured it was, but wanted him to answer to be absolutely sure.

Also, I wanted him to answer because my son-in-law didn't know there was a difference between sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk...

Also, and I answered this already, as it seems this question is in two threads -- I would replace the butter with shortening for more "fluff."

CD

I thought bicarb and baking powder were slightly different ingredients?

I'll have to Google it now.

Bicarb and BAKING SODA are the same. Baking powder is different.

Another example of how Brits and Yanks speak the same language, but don't speak the same language. :wink:

CD

Bicarb and BAKING SODA are the same. Baking powder is different.

CD
Yep, just checked. I think it's just that we across the pond tend to use the terminology of bicarb of soda and baking powder.
Whereas baking soda is more used in the US.

Or something like that, I dunno.

Also, I haven't weighed it out and can't really see the conversions in my head since grams to ounces/cups is something I can't do without actually weighing out, but I think you might be right about the size of the pan.

And why in the world would they be using grams in 1 part of recipe and inches in another? That doesn't make sense.
That may be my fault.

Another question...you said you find this on the internet. Would you mind posting a link that as well?

Back
Top Bottom