Legendary Member
Local time
10:02 AM
From a link given elsewhere

Ingredients
1 (12 ounce) bag semisweet chocolate morsels
1 lb of uncooked bacon(Sliced)

Directions
  1. Heat large skillet on high; add bacon strips.
  2. Turn bacon strips over as needed with tongs.
  3. Cook back until it’s reduced to about ¼ of its original size and appears to be crispy. (The bacon should be crispy; however if you prefer your chocolate covered bacon chewy opposed to crunchy then reduce cooking time by removing your bacon earlier).
  4. Drain bacon on papertowels to remove grease.
  5. While the bacon is cooling fill the double boiler or medium sauce pan with water and bring to a medium heat.
  6. Place double boiler top pan in double boiler bottom pan or put the small sauce pan in the medium sauce pan.
  7. Slowly add chocolate morsels into top pan and stir while morsels melt. Do this until all morels have been added. (Be sure to keep stirring to prevent the chocolate from burning.).
  8. Using your fingers or tongs carefully dip the bacon strips into the chocolate, if necessary use a spoon to spoon the melted chocolate over the bacon evenly coating it.
  9. Once coated lay strips on cooling rack (with something underneath to catch the drips) or waxed paper lined cookie sheet.
  10. Cool in refrigerator for 15 minutes to set chocolate.

Preperation 0 MINS
Cooking 30 MINS

SERVINGS: 6

http://www.food.com/

Yes and it received varrying views on cc,
this remark made ne chuckle

Some things should just not be mixed.
Like crème de menthe and tomato juice.

Oh my goodness, the combination of meat flavor and chocolate is almost a sickening thought. I don't know how anyone could eat that.

I can 'sort of' see this working because of the saltiness of the bacon. Rather like sea salt flavoured chocolate: http://www.greenandblacks.co.uk/our-range/Bars/Sea-Salt?p=3148#first
Oddly enough, although I'm not a chocolate fan and would almost never eat chocolate on its own, I'd give this a try.

Putting chocolate and meat together isn't so unusual. I often add a square or two of dark chocolate to a chilli. And traditionally there are many Mole (I don't mean the animal!) recipes containing chocolate. I've also cooked a game casserole with chocolate added (and a quick search yields a number of recipes for that).

And some people thought deep fried cream eggs and mars bars was over the top :eek:

Its the salt sweet combo with chocolate and bacon which can work. Think of salty peanuts in chocolate (its a Snickers bar!). Also, if you use 90% chocolate in chilli or meat casseroles its not at all sweet. It just adds a dark musky almost leathery edge with a lingering taste. You wouldn't know it was chocolate but it adds a dimension. Those deep fried things are just sweet, sweet sweet and fatty. :sick:

Oh my goodness, two of my favourite things combined into one. This sounds so good and something I really want to try. The best of both worlds. I am drooling all over my tablet screen just thinking of it. lol

Is this considered a dessert due to the chocolateyness of it? I will have to try making it. Sounds incredibly decadent.

Is this considered a dessert due to the chocolateyness of it? I will have to try making it. Sounds incredibly decadent.
I think its a snack rather than a dessert. See also the chocolate available at Trader Joe's (we don't have that store here in UK). I mentioned it on the 'How crispy do you like your bacon' thread.

wn-uncured-bacon-ganache-bar.png

I love bacon. I love chocolate. But I found I did not love it together. The chocolate was just to sweet combined with the bacon.

Back
Top Bottom