Recipe Chocolate, ginger and chilli, gluten-free, vegan cake

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
2:44 PM
This was based on a recipe I saw in the Tesco magazine and was rather sceptical as I could not see how the ingredients would make a Victoria sponge. So I tried it with my own take on it.

• 400g gluten free self-raising flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 50g cocoa powder
  • 115ml sunflower oil
  • 400ml almond milk
  • 3 tbsp golden syrup
  • 1tsp minced ginger
  • 1 scotch bonnet chilli
  • Mix the dry ingredients then put the wet ingredients with the chilli and garlic in a jug and blitz until the chilli is fully mixed in
  • Mix together
  • Pour into two sponge cake tins
  • Bake for 30-40 mins on 180

I also made some ginger butter icing using margarine (flora vegan), icing sugar and ginger to taste.

This turned out a much better sponge than my usual dairy and gluten free (but with egg) sponge. This is going to be my go-to recipe now. If I use rice milk the cake will also be nut free!

Gosh - a Scotch Bonnet chilli in a cake! I adore Scotch Bonnets but I've never ever seen them in a cake before! I imagine that the cake must be rather spicy... I guess this could be made just as well with ordinary flour.

Don't know if you have chili infused chocolate bars in the UK, but they are popular here. Chili and chocolate is a combination as old as the Aztec, Mayan, Inca and Chachapoyan civilizations.

Don't know if you have chili infused chocolate bars in the UK, but they are popular here. Chili and chocolate is a combination as old as the Aztec, Mayan, Inca and Chachapoyan civilizations.
Yes - yes we do and I'm very familiar with using chilli in moles but I've never across it in a cake before - well, certainly not Scotch Bonnet.

Back
Top Bottom