Recipe Chocolate Orange Brownies

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
3:31 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
I love the combination of chocolate and orange in sweets - something about the citrus acidity cuts through the chocolate so nicely!

Here's a recipe for chocolate orange brownies - I haven't given it a whirl yet but I'm itching to try it! The original source is from BBC Good Food.

Ingredients:

• 200g butter, chopped
  • 200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
  • zest 1 large orange
  • 4 large eggs
  • 350g caster sugar
  • 100g plain flour
  • 50g cocoa powder
  • 100g dark chocolate orange, chopped
Method:

1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 24 x 20cm brownie tin with baking parchment. Put the butter, dark chocolate and orange zest in a non-stick saucepan and very gently melt over a low heat, stirring every now and then, until smooth – take care not to overheat it. Cool.

2. Whisk the eggs and sugar together with an electric whisk until the mixture is pale, has doubled in volume and leaves a trail when the beaters are lifted. Gently stir into the cooled chocolate mixture. Sift over the flour and cocoa, stir in, then add the orange chocolate.

3. Pour into the lined tin and bake for 35-40 mins. Cool in the tin, then cut into squares!

You could always add nuts if they take your fancy but I don't think I'd add them to this one!

Yes, chocolate and orange is a great combination - but I fear that this one is cheating a bit by using a (Terry's?) chocolate orange in the ingredients. I do see why. You get nuggets of semi-melted chocolate orange in the brownies!

Yes, chocolate and orange is a great combination - but I fear that this one is cheating a bit by using a (Terry's?) chocolate orange in the ingredients. I do see why. You get nuggets of semi-melted chocolate orange in the brownies!

Ha yes, I thought the same! The orange zest is still in there, but using the dark chocolate orange is a bit sneaky. Not to mention it'd be hard for me to find that in Japan. I haven't had a Terry's chocolate orange since I lived in Australia which was a while ago. We have some international food stores here which have confectionary from different countries, but I imagine if there was a chocolate orange there I would be paying the equivalent of $20 USD for the privilege!

Ha yes, I thought the same! The orange zest is still in there, but using the dark chocolate orange is a bit sneaky. Not to mention it'd be hard for me to find that in Japan. I haven't had a Terry's chocolate orange since I lived in Australia which was a while ago. We have some international food stores here which have confectionary from different countries, but I imagine if there was a chocolate orange there I would be paying the equivalent of $20 USD for the privilege!
I did think that you might find it hard to get a Terry's Dark Chocolate orange in Japan! I expect you could use bits of chopped dark chocolate instead. I will have a go at this recipe if I get time. And you are first off the mark in the recipe challenge! :)

I also like the orange chocolate combination. It is such an awesome flavor. I am really interested in trying this out.

Brownieeees are actually something that I have tasted only two times in my life. Once it was when a friend from England made them for someone's birthday, and the other time when my friend from the USA made them for us. Both times I loved them. However, every time I asked my mum to make them, she would always say, we need a lot of chocolate for this, we have no money at the moment, so I have never actually made it at home so far. But, I have to say I have never tried them made with orange. They must taste great.

I bet these are really good. I remember when I was a kid my mom used to get us Droste's orange chocolates. They were shaped in an orange and the chocolate was shaped like orange slices. I be the chocolate orange brownies are good like that. I have also seen orange in combination with chocolate bars in the store, and thought the combination looked interesting. I love cherry with chocolate.

Back
Top Bottom