Choose one cheese

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:40 AM
We've had threads about our favourite cheeses before - but this is the difficult one. You can only choose one cheese to use/eat for the rest of your life. Which one? Only one choice please and tell us why!

Initially, I agree with @cookieee. Cheddar is the straightforward choice. However, @morning glory threw us a "rest of your life" challenge. For that reason I am choosing Swiss Cheese. Traditionally, swiss cheese is healthier in terms of calories, fat, and salt. Since the challenge was rest of your life I would choose health over flavor.

Initially, I agree with @cookieee. Cheddar is the straightforward choice. However, @morning glory threw us a "rest of your life" challenge. For that reason I am choosing Swiss Cheese. Traditionally, swiss cheese is healthier in terms of calories, fat, and salt. Since the challenge was rest of your life I would choose health over flavor.

Swiss is prolly number 2 or 3 on my list. :)

Russ

It would have to have been a coin toss between the (red wheel version of ) Jarlsberg and Waitrose's own Wexford Mature cheddar.

Cheddar for myself at least is a category of cheese, not a cheese, if that makes sense. It is rather like saying I would have a Ford vehicle for the rest of my life when asked which vehicle you would want to drive for the remainder of your life. That's the make, not the model, when the question is really asking for a model. So for me, I would have to specify the 'model' and in this case it would be Wexford mature Cheddar or the red wheel Jarlsberg (I'll try to find the make of it in a minute, hum, that failed other than being called Norwegian Jarlsberg (I have come across other versions of it, and they are not as nice)).

Since the challenge was rest of your life I would choose health over flavor.
Health can be dealt with over flavour very easily by simply eating less of something that tastes great! Much better in my opinion than eating more of something you are not as keen of!

Good thinking!

Parmigiano Reggiano. It can be used as a salty grating/shaving cheese in many dishes. Its not just for Italian dishes.

Probably gruyere. But it's a hard question, because there are cheeses that are great ingredients, and cheeses that are great for eating out of hand, so I'd have to work that out first.

Maybe butter cheese, though, now that I think about it. I like that quite a bit.

A very difficult choice, considering then that I'm a fan of cheeses. If it could be done, I would opt for two halves of cheeses then put together, one made of Parmesan and the other of goat's cheese.

If this possibility is not acceptable (strange!) then my choice falls on Parmigiano Reggiano

Back
Top Bottom