Chorizo recipes

Local time
8:40 PM
Website
www.helium.com
I spend a lot of time in Spain, so I'm always coming across chorizo sausages, but I've always been a bit wary of using them in recipes, other than in stews. However, I found this useful feature today, with lots of ideas for recipes for chorizo. The jambalaya sounds good, don't you think? Do you have any favourite ways with chorizo?

Delia has a recipe called Chicken Basque, which uses chorizo along with chicken thighs, black olives and rice, with various herbs and spices.

I spend a lot of time in Spain, so I'm always coming across chorizo sausages, but I've always been a bit wary of using them in recipes, other than in stews. However, I found this useful feature today, with lots of ideas for recipes for chorizo.

Sweet, I got a bunch of chorizo recently and have likewise been experimenting. I had two kinds, one a smaller harder Asturian chorizo that worked really well in stews and cooked in wine (cider would have been better, but I hadn't any) and a longer, spicier, and slightly softer Malaga one that is delicious pan fried with just about anything but keep coming back to cooking it chopped smallish with crispy chickpeas and spinach.

But I love the site you linked, the avocado on toast one looks great and easy! Just my style :)

Nigel Slater did a sandwich on his show, chorizo sliced and fried to warm it through, then slices of mozzarella put in the pan, and then the frying oil spooned over to marinade it, then into a baguette with fresh spinach leaves. Looked lovely!

Yum, yum.... Spanish cuisine is one my very favorites and I love Fabada Paella, Callos a la Madrileña and many other mouthwatering dishes :p

About chorizo, I like the mix of this with scramble eggs, onions slices, and diced potatoes. Really tasty, particularly with corn tortillas.

Yes, the best dish with chorizo that I ever had was paella with seafood. My friend cooked it and he added everything; chicken, fish, prawns, mussels and even calamari. The stock that he used had to be made the night before by boiling fish heads overnight. When he cooked it, everyone just stared! The saffron and other spices he added just brought out the flavours even more!

Talking about chorizo, I found the other day to make our own chorizo sausages

2 lbs pork tenderloin
1/2 lb of pork fat
7 chiles ancho
1/2 teaspoon toasted coriander seeds
3 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds
4 cloves crushed garlic
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup strong vinegar
2 oz vodka (optional)

- Chop the tenderloin finely. Add 1/2 lb of pork fat to the mixture at this point or omit the fat for a lean sausage.
- Toast the chiles. When cool, remove the seeds and veins.
- Grind the chiles with the remaining spices in a mortar.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pork and rub well together with your hands.
- Cover the mixture and set in refrigerator for three days to season. Mix well each day.
- At this point, either stuff the chorizo into casings (available from your local butcher) or store as is.

Chorizo freezes well, and will keep in the refrigerator for about a week.

I've only purchased it a handful of times, and I mainly used it with scrambled eggs, or in a burger. I get the brand that Wal-Mart sells, which comes in a plastic tube and is raw. My main gripe with it however is that it is insanely salty - the point where it kind of overpowers the recipes that I use it in, so I try to tame it down. In scrambled eggs it's almost too strong, unless I only use a scant amount. One of my more successful attempts to cook with it was to simply blend it with some ground chuck, to make hamburgers. I didn't even need to season them because there was plenty in the Chorizo. Once they were done cooking, I simply melted some Manchego or Provolone over them and added some diced chiles out of a can.

Back
Top Bottom