Christmas Cake in Japan

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
6:03 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
Japan really gets into Christmas - and every year around this time, stores come out with "Kurismasu Keiki" (literally, Christmas Cake!) but it's a little different than what I was used to. I expected a dense, fruit cake when I moved here and heard of the Christmas Cake tradition...but their Christmas cakes actually look like this:

xmas-cake.jpg

There's a great article here about the origins of how the Japanese Christmas cake came about - feel free to have a read if you're interested! I learned a bit more about it myself!

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...istmas-cake-that-isn-t-about-christmas-at-all

I love how simple and clean the cake looks. To me the strawberries on top are cute and lovely, the play on creativity made me interested as they look like red Christmas trees.

Well I must say this cake looks beautiful and it does suit the Christmas season. However, I have grown used to our great cake which is a traditional thing around here. A cake like this one shown in the photo would still be good to have as an additional cake for the Christmas season, but our main cake would still be the great cake. We do have other types of cakes at Christmas time too.

That looks really good and not at all what I would expect when hearing the name "Christmas Cake." I love my fruit cake so to me that is my Christmas cake of choice. Even though this one sounds really good and looks awesome, over the holidays I would rather have my fruit cake. I look forward to it every year!

Back
Top Bottom