Christmas cake time

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:00 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
It's that time of year again. Time to make the Christmas cake. Only this year is a challenge as well because not only have I got to find my dedicated Christmas cake tin, some greaseproof paper but also half of the ingredients are going to be a challenge add all.

Little things like dried sour cherries, blanched almonds! Could be making those myself at this rate. Ironically Australian seedless golden raisins (so far only found the non-golden ones), blackstrap molasses, and my favourite dark muscavado sugar amongst other items.

Plus with my broken ribs and me not being able to travel at the moment, I'm entirely reliant on a certain husband of mine to find these items for me! At least I will have no shortage of fresh free range eggs to make it with!

Now to enjoy my first hot Christmas!

So had anyone else made their cake yet? Are you making your own? Do you have a preferred recipe? Or is it already made (I'm a little late with mine this year but I only broke my ribs 2 weeks ago so...)?

Only "a little late"! Nearly too late for this year. Mine is in an airtight container, being treated to the odd drink for the last two weeks.

I think I've posted one or two a relative uses. She refuses to let anyone in the kitchen when she's working on her own recipe.

Never thought about this until now, but August/September is when she's working on her own, for the following year.

No-one here likes or will eat it - so no point in making one. Same with Xmas pudding. Mince pies will get eaten though!

It's the exact opposite here. Can't stand mice pies. Love Christmas cake and going to miss the Waitrose Christmas pud we always used to get. Making my own may be one challenge too many this year though!

Edit: you have to love predictive text! I'm going to leave the typo in!

It's the exact opposite here. Can't stand mice pies. Love Christmas cake and going to miss the Waitrose Christmas pud we always used to get. Making my own may be one challenge too many this year though!

Edit: you have to love predictive text! I'm going to leave the typo in!
I'm not surprised you can't stand mice pies. Brilliant typo.:roflmao:

Mince pies have similar spices and ingredients to Xmas pus, though. I do like Xmas puds but don't allow myself them (nor mince pies). I think the rest of the crew here just prefer mince pies because you can grab one and go. Whereas Xmas pudding need serving up with sauce, heated etc.

Mince pies have similar spices and ingredients to Xmas pus

and another great type - it probably explains why I can't stand it either! :giggle:

I am very particular about my Christmas puddings. Rather like my Christmas Cake, I don't like the vast majority of them and only like them if they are solid fruit and fruit I like. If there is the slightest hint of sponge or worse still sponge with a hint of fruit (!) I can't stand them. In fact it is worse than that. No amount of politeness will get me eating them!

We do not make Christmas cake or mince pie here in America (at least where I am located ). It is all about the Christmas cookies here. I have never even had a Christmas cake before. Is this something that lasts several months?

We do not make Christmas cake or mince pie here in America (at least where I am located ). It is all about the Christmas cookies here. I have never even had a Christmas cake before. Is this something that lasts several months?
I think they are talking about fruit cakes. I have heard some last for years.

Yay @Rosyrain, good to see you posting again! :D Christmas Cookies? Now, you will have to tell us what they are and if possible, post a recipe!

We are running late with the xmas cake due to having to do a 18th and a 80th cake for the last two weeks but this weekend will D day and a Dundee cake as well

Mine has been deferred until next week now. I had a new cooker yesterday and it was finally fitted properly (or just connected properly) today. I'm out tomorrow and need to get the calendar photos selected over the next couple of days, plus there is the housework to get caught up on and done and some cooking... so it will have to be next week. It's been a good many years since it was this late in being made.

Back
Top Bottom