Christmas cakes

kammy

Veteran
Local time
6:36 PM
It's a tradition in my family to have lots of fruitcakes on the table for Christmas and so the preparations have began..most of the fruits and nuts have already been purchased and this weekend the wines will be purchased for soaking the fruits in...it's lots of work to have them done to the desired perfection but the reward i get from doing it is tremendous.

Yes, Christmas time is the time for the fruit cakes. Traditionally, we would bake black fruit cakes, most commonly known as "great cake" in my country. This cake is seen more often at Christmas time than at any other time of the year. I remember my mom baking these cakes and all the work that went into it. She would even do a couple for other family members. These days, however, I tend to buy these cakes from the supermarket since they are also sold there, and they taste just as good. It would not seem like Christmas to me without my "great cake."

Yes, Christmas time is the time for the fruit cakes. Traditionally, we would bake black fruit cakes, most commonly known as "great cake" in my country. This cake is seen more often at Christmas time than at any other time of the year. I remember my mom baking these cakes and all the work that went into it. She would even do a couple for other family members. These days, however, I tend to buy these cakes from the supermarket since they are also sold there, and they taste just as good. It would not seem like Christmas to me without my "great cake."

I just don't think it would be the same for me if i should purchase my Christmas cakes from the supermarket as it's just so much joy knowing that i will be baking Christmas cakes with my sisters and my kids...it's like this has been a family tradition for the longest of times and we put so much love and effort into baking for our families and love ones that it just wouldn't be the same if it was done any other way.

It seems to me that lots of people where I live buy their cakes from the supermarket nowadays. Once before this was never heard of. It was always a traditional thing to bake your own Christmas cake. However, a wholesale store opened up here a few years ago, and they started baking some lovely cakes especially at Christmas time, and most people liked their cakes and decided that they would just buy from them instead of doing their own baking. However, there are still some who hold firmly to the tradition of baking their own black cake at this time.

Back
Top Bottom