Christmas Candies and Cookies for Gifts

I forgot to share that my husband used to cook yam - that violet root crop. Actually, the yam is the harvest from our garden. My husband plants them in time for a Christmas harvest. He would cook it for more than 1 hour in a vat, stirring and stirring until the mixture of yam, condensed milk and coconut milk becomes sticky. He then places the cooked yam in foil containers for our giveaways to neighbors and relatives. It's a tiring chore that's why we just buy items for giveaways instead of cooking.

I have never had it but it sound really good but yes I can see that it would be a lot of work to prepare. I bet people really enjoyed and appreciated it though because it is not something they would do themselves. I enjoy gifts like that.

I have never had it but it sound really good but yes I can see that it would be a lot of work to prepare. I bet people really enjoyed and appreciated it though because it is not something they would do themselves. I enjoy gifts like that.

You are right. It is lots of hard work that starts from planting the yam and caring for 8 months before the roots can be harvested. And then the harvested yam is grated before cooked in a vat. It is a special dessert that would surely make the recipient jump with joy, that's what my husband would always say. But now we still cook the giveaways, last year it was the cassava cake which was also a hit so probably we are going to have a repeat for this Christmas upon the requests of friends and relatives.

Back
Top Bottom