Christmas Dinners from around the world

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
12:24 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
I thought this was super interesting - it's the "typical" Christmas dinner from a number of countries!

I can vouch for Japan being in love with KFC at Christmas time - nice work to the marketing genius who associated the two, because it's been a tradition here ever since, it seems, to get KFC on Christmas Eve.

qQa3HoH.jpg

Wow this is very interesting. It is nice to hear all the special ways that other countries celebrate Christmas. I am in Canada and yes we do enjoy our Chicken Bone candy as a special holiday treat. We can only get them at Christmas time so they are a real.great.

This is an interesting and informative post. Each country has its own tradition which is special to them. Some of these traditions would seem strange to others. For instance, I would not consider eating Kentucky Fried Chicken as a Christmas meal except there was no other choice. I have never associated fast food with Christmas. Also, soup is never thought of. Our tradition here has always been baked chicken or baked turkey, baked pork, macaroni pie, potato salad, yam pie, rice and peas, along with some beef stew.

Wow! This is a very nice and interesting article! It is really true that every country had their own tradition and ways of celebrating Christmas Day. They had also their own food specialty especially their festive foods that they serve in their dining table during Christmas dinner. The holiday season is already near and I'm sure some of us are already excited to eat once again our own festive foods.

This is a really interesting way of looking at the world. I would have never thought about people having other types of meals during the holidays. I really wouldn't mind eating in the Philippines during the Christmas season. Whole roasted pig is one of my favorite things to eat.

The Caribbean is missing. Because I am not into Christmas I'd probably have the Colonel for lunch. Not really- I still cook a full meal that day. In Bim like Caribbean post stated, most people cook up a storm. A whole ham or two depending on the household, jug- jug, several salads, great cake and other cakes are some of the things I see missing from Caribbean girl's list.

Last edited:
A whole ham or two depending on the household, jug- jug, several salads, grate cake and other cakes are some of the things I see missing from Caribbean girl's list.

Yes indeed winterybella, how could I have neglected to mention jug-jug and great cake? In fact, Christmas without jug-jug is a no-no in our country. I doubt anyone bothers to make it at other times of the year. The great cake is another item that makes Christmas seem special. I hardly ever eat it at other times of the year. Of course ham has to be part of the menu too. Ham is eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Yes indeed winterybella, how could I have neglected to mention jug-jug and great cake? In fact, Christmas without jug-jug is a no-no in our country. I doubt anyone bothers to make it at other times of the year. The great cake is another item that makes Christmas seem special. I hardly ever eat it at other times of the year. Of course ham has to be part of the menu too. Ham is eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Have you made the jug-jug yourself? I have never ever tasted it if my memory serves me well. And stuffing. We forgot that. People just pile on the pounds Christmas day and the day after. You left out the alcohol as well. That's a must on the menu.

Have you made the jug-jug yourself? I have never ever tasted it if my memory serves me well. And stuffing. We forgot that. People just pile on the pounds Christmas day and the day after. You left out the alcohol as well. That's a must on the menu.
Ok, what is jug-jug? Goes off to look it up...

Our usual Christmas eve dinner is our special menudo. This is a stew of pork belly and pork liver with garnishings of potatos, garbanzo beans and raisins. The main flavoring is red tomatoes and soy sauce. It is best eaten with bread so we always order special sliced bread from the bakery to match the menudo. And the best drink is hot cocoa. That is our traditional midnight dinner - our way of waiting for Christmas in the changing of the date from December 24th into 25th. Not to forget that our dining table has a bevy of fresh fruits and sweets.

I make jug-jug every year. I learned how to make it from my mother. That is now a dish that I do whenever we have a family get together at Christmas time. Stuffing is something I have never made, but that is another specialty at Christmas time and also a favourite of mine. I would not mention alcohol since I do not use it, but there are lots of people who see this as a must have on their Christmas menu.

One time I will try the jug-jug and stuffing just to say I have made them. Hopefully Morning Glory does not get to try it before I do. As for the great cake or fruit cake, I think that calls for too much preparation so I am really in no hurry to try that.

I didn't know about KFC & Japan. I have a lot of relatives living over there so I'll have to ask. It's so funny to think about though since KFC is just an ordinary takeaway restaurant. Amazing marketing. Costa Rica dinner looks lovely.

Back
Top Bottom