Christmas Eve: The Feast of the Seven Fishes

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
4:41 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
It's an Italian tradition but probably not all over Italy. Dad discovered this tradition in the 1980s sometime and although we are not Italian (and neither Dad nor I were actually Christian at this point) it sounded like a wonderful food idea to carry on. Dad actually did carry it on for close to 20 years, making seafood for the 24th of December for any parties he and Mom set up, for as long as their health enabled them to do so.

Being a seafood fan, I never had a problem with this. In fact, I encouraged it. Not that my parents required any encouragement.

Both of my parents always enjoyed cooking. Dad pretty much took over an event such as this, and Mom focused on desserts and salads - although in certain dishes they did overlap.

Do you do anything special for Christmas Eve? Especially food-wise? Any other traditions? I'll be giving some recipes and ideas in the nearby future - and I'll talk about traditional fish dinners for this. Dad did go towards sashimi and the like (and as do I), but with some interesting recipes along the way.

I did discuss back in the late 80s / early 90's Dad's take on the Feast of the Seven Fishes, with a co-worker from Italian heritage. She was totally revolted by the fact that ANYONE would eat eel - even though it is listed as a valid fish to cook with... so... yes... not everyone's viewpoints will be, er, similar.

I will add a few ideas here, shortly.

Last edited:
Do you do anything special for Christmas Eve? Especially food-wise?

Yes, we open stocking stuffers while some holiday movie plays on the TV, and we have appetizers or fondue. We're moving more and more toward appetizers, because sitting down and eating fondue requires a commitment - you can't do anything else while you're eating fondue, but finger foods, you can eat a little, open a stocking stuffer, eat a little, open a stocking stuffer, etc.

For stocking stuffers, we get little goofy things to eat and little individual things from the drug store, like maybe a miniature tape measure, or a travel-sized roll of toilet paper. Just stupid stuff to have fun opening.

We used to go out for breakfast Christmas morning, and I think we might try to bring that back. As a person who did not grow up with Christmas and who married into a very Christmassy family, that was my one contribution to tradition when we got married, but it kind of fell by the wayside, because the only place around here that's open Christmas Day is Waffle House, and my wife isn't a fan. But, she mentioned doing it this year, so we'll see.

My family also did Feast of Seven FIshes, a European tradition, not just Italian (we are Lithuanian). It was a disaster for us kids when young, as the menu was heavy on smelts, herring (we were quite poor). As time went on my "modern" aunt talked my grandmother into allowing meatless pasta for the kids.

When my mother was in her late 80s our family would meet in Florida for the holidays. My SIL and I were in charge of shopping and cooking. I bought alligator one year; my mother said, that's not a fish. Big debate on whether reptilian meat was fish or meat. In the end she relented....and she really liked the gator!

My family also did Feast of Seven FIshes, a European tradition, not just Italian (we are Lithuanian). It was a disaster for us kids when young, as the menu was heavy on smelts, herring (we were quite poor). As time went on my "modern" aunt talked my grandmother into allowing meatless pasta for the kids.

When my mother was in her late 80s our family would meet in Florida for the holidays. My SIL and I were in charge of shopping and cooking. I bought alligator one year; my mother said, that's not a fish. Big debate on whether reptilian meat was fish or meat. In the end she relented....and she really liked the gator!

Thanks for pointing out that this isn't just an Italian tradition. Its fascinating.

If you have a moment please pop over to New to CookingBites? and tell us a bit more about your interest in cooking. :okay:

I am glad MC started this thread. I have never cooked the Feast of Seven Fishes, but really, really want to do it some day. There is no way I could cook it for my family. My dad and I are probably the only ones who would eat it.

I hope to see a lot of posts.

CD

I have never cooked the Feast of Seven Fishes, but really, really want to do it some day. There is no way I could cook it for my family. My dad and I are probably the only ones who would eat it.

Looking at some suggestions on the internet it seems that prawns (shrimp), lobster, crab etc. are included. What about shellfish? I can imagine a great 3 course menu if all the above are included along with fish. Using small quantities of each this would be do-able menu for just two people.

So... I might just do it.

If we have to refer to Italy, this is not an Italian tradition, it's an American-Italian tradition.

That in Italy we eat fish on December 24th there is no doubt as a religious observance, but there is not a feast of 7 fishes

That was my impression, too. It was made popular by Italian immigrants to the US. More specifically, I understand it was mostly immigrants from Southern Italy and Sicily.

Thanks! How do people in Italy celebrate Christmas Eve with fish?

CD

That was my impression, too. It was made popular by Italian immigrants to the US. More specifically, I understand it was mostly immigrants from Southern Italy and Sicily.

Thanks! How do people in Italy celebrate Christmas Eve with fish?

CD

Exactly. A bit like spaghetti with meatballs and Fettuccine Alfredo, they are not Italian dishes, they are dishes that have been revisited by Italian immigrants in the US, but in Italy (unless you go in the turist restaurants, maybe you'll find them), if you ask for Fettucine Alfredo they will ask you "who?"; same thing for the spaghetti with meatballs, we have ragù, simple tomato sauce, mini-meatballs to combine them in baked pasta or in lasagne, but you won't find Spaghetti with meatballs.

Anyway, according to the Catholic Church, Christmas Eve is a meager day, or a day when one should eat "poor" food or even abstain completely from food as a sign of respect and devotion. But nobody does it anymore.
So no meat though and yes to fish. Among other things, the Christmas Eve dinner was more linked to Central and Southern Italy, while in Northern Italy the Christmas lunch was celebrated.

In any case, it is common to eat things in broth, such as cappelletti or tortellini (no meat) in vegetable broth or even fishes like eel (which I hate), cod, shellfish, prawns and baked fish

Last edited:
I discovered a great Feast of the Seven Seas salad on YouTube. I believe I'll be making it with some minor changes. I doubt I'll be able to find conch/sgungilli, and I really don't want to use salt cod. It's probably the one fish I Do Not Like.

ATM, I plan to use: mussels, clams, shrimp, salmon, eel (I have some in the freezer), squid and young octopus. I'll prepare the octopus differently than they do on the recipe.

The recipe itself came from an Italian grandmother who from her accent was definitely an immigrant. The things she didn't place in her salad that I plan to use are the eel and the salmon.

More as this develops.

Anyway, according to the Catholic Church, Christmas Eve is a meager day, or a day when one should eat "poor" food or even abstain completely from food as a sign of respect and devotion. But nobody does it anymore.
So no meat though and yes to fish. Among other things, the Christmas Eve dinner was more linked to Central and Southern Italy, while in Northern Italy the Christmas lunch was celebrated.

I have to admit, my parents were prone to follow the letter of the law rather than the spirit, during Lent and on Christmas Eve. I knew Lent was about "giving up" things - but their Lenten Friday dishes (we were raised Catholic, and Mother always was Catholic and I grew up when the restrictions on meat were still in force) dishes were some of the tastiest meals of the week. Some would truly be vegetarian - which were always excellent, things centered around eggplant and such -- very awesome. The rest would be -- seafood! And, good quality seafood, sometimes inexpensive because then we lived in New York City or nearby, which is coastal - but I never felt like I was giving anything up.

I recall going out on one Friday with them in Lent and ordering ravioli - and feeling horridly guilty of something when the dish turned up to be stuffed with meat rather than simply cheese... As a kid, I guess I assumed that EVERYone followed these restrictions! (Parents said: "waste not, want not" or words to that effect, but I still felt guilty.)

Christmas Eve never felt like we were supposed to be giving anything up. It was another occasion to celebrate with family and/or friends. Yes, you didn't eat land animals or poultry, but you did enjoy seafood - even if during my formative years it wasn't Seven of them.

Looking at some suggestions on the internet it seems that prawns (shrimp), lobster, crab etc. are included. What about shellfish? I can imagine a great 3 course menu if all the above are included along with fish. Using small quantities of each this would be do-able menu for just two people.

So... I might just do it.

Definitely shellfish!

Ideas for Feast of Seven Fishes for 2.

Canapés:
Oysters in shell,
Smoked mackerel pâté on mini toast squares,
Blinis tipped with poached quail's eggs and caviar

Starter
Prawn cocktail (very retro)

Main
Seafood saffron stew with mussels, crab balls and loin of cod

That's seven types of fish/seafood. Should it be seven courses though?

Ideas for Feast of Seven Fishes for 2.

Canapés:
Oysters in shell,
Smoked mackerel pâté on mini toast squares,
Blinis tipped with poached quail's eggs and caviar

Starter
Prawn cocktail (very retro)

Main
Seafood saffron stew with mussels, crab balls and loin of cod

That's seven types of fish/seafood. Should it be seven courses though?

Sounds like the "meager, poor food" that MypinchofItaly mentioned. :wink:

I believe your feast of the seven fishes can be multiple dishes, or on dish with seven fishes.

CD

Now that is a tradition I could happily start in my family. Eel is delicious.

My parents were always busy at church on Christmas eve so mum always did braising steak (obviously not catholic!) In the slow cooker served with veg and jacket potatoes. We always had it at lunch time so we would not be full on christmas day.

My M-I-L was Portuguese so sometimes we had christmas dinner on christmas eve. She used to cook a traditional rice dish with giblets. She also cooked parsnips which are not (at least when she was a child) widely eaten in Portugal but fed to livestock.

Now I sort of do a cross between the two. A stew, but a Portuguese one, squid. I've posted the recipe before. Lovely smell of it bubbling on the hob as we settle down for the festivities. Hopefully this year I'll be able to teach the recipe to my 18 year old niece as she remembers enjoying her grandmother's stew. I've been planning to teach her for ages but it never seems to happen.

Back
Top Bottom