Christmas Food & Drink

The only specific dish I have planned for Christmas Day is a standing rib roast. We do that every year, along with some kind of potatoes. I like to do Brussels sprouts with some dried cranberries, but the wife isn't too keen on that, so maybe broccoli or green beans with dried cranberries.

I always feel the need to make some kind of dessert, but we have excellent German bakers in the city, so really tasty stollen, pfeffernusse, and lebkuchen abound, and I always buy myself a Christmas pudding.

But the wonderful thing about Christmas (as opposed to Thanksgiving) is that it's a whole month of seasonal eats - so we'll be having fondue, cocktail meatballs, lots of little holiday nibbles and drinks all month long.

I will be going down to visit friends in Connecticut for Christmas dinner. Of course, bad weather will derail my ambitions. I will be bringing a side of indeterminate nature at this point.

Growing up, we never had a set meal for Christmas (unlike Thanksgiving). One year we even went out to a Chinese restaurant for dinner.

But at one point - I'd just about left home to be an adult on my own - Dad discovered the Italian Feast of the Seven Fishes. This is held on Christmas Eve. He went crazy with this all subsequent years until he aged out with dementia. I absolutely LOVE this tradition, despite not being Christian these days. I follow along as best I can. At least, I need three fishes, but more is fine as well. And he didn't exactly find a personal need to make traditionally-Italian dishes for this, although sometimes he did do so.

I do know people who have SET dinners. The couple I'll be visiting this year always has prime rib, Brussels, and carrots. Sides are whatever we want to bring. (Since my friend's husband is severely diabetic, desserts are at this point down-played there). The friend I'll be visiting does know how to cook... but.. In my teens and early twenties, the next door neighbor always invited the family over for brisket, brussels, and encrusted Brie. And some dessert I've thankfully forgotten, but it was always the same. She did not know how to cook either the brisket nor the Brussels - though the Brie was great.

One year i was scheduled for major surgery the day after Christmas. I was actually PLEASED that I could beg off the nasty brisket and Brussels because I had to be on clear fluids 24 hours prior. I regretted missing the Brie, but... that was a small price to pay to avoid what she did to brisket and Brussels (at that point, I didn't even realize these items can indeed be made tasty to the extreme!)

If I am cooking (still to be decided with sis),Christmas Day menu will be:
Bloody Mary's (or cocktail of choice)
Crab/lobster bisque
Sticky buns
Standing Rib Roast w/ au jus
Mashed potatoes
Balsamic roasted beets, Brussels and cauliflower
Peppermint pie
Double Fudge brownies with vanilla ice cream

And who knows may snag an idea from those posted on this great board to change up the above menu a bit😄

I am suddenly thinking....
I think I want to host a Feast of the Seven Fishes here. My dad's style (the dishes won't need to be Italian but I'd like at least two or three of them to be so.)
It may be difficult. A lot of the close by friends (logistically) don't eat fish, and/or aren't open to trying anything new (seafood or not). I need to start checking this out... if it is possible or not. I'd need to keep open enough options for all invitees.
I also have to consider last minute Weather.

Dad discovered the Italian Feast of the Seven Fishes. This is held on Christmas Eve.

I think I want to host a Feast of the Seven Fishes here. My dad's style (the dishes won't need to be Italian but I'd like at least two or three of them to be so.)
It may be difficult. A lot of the close by friends (logistically) don't eat fish, and/or aren't open to trying anything new (seafood or not). I need to start checking this out... if it is possible or not. I'd need to keep open enough options for all invitees.

I've not heard about this - aside from fish being associated with Christmas Eve. Please tell us a bit more about the tradition - maybe a new thread? Wish I lived near you - I love fishy treats...

Bloody Mary's (or cocktail of choice)
Crab/lobster bisque
Sticky buns
Standing Rib Roast w/ au jus
Mashed potatoes
Balsamic roasted beets, Brussels and cauliflower
Peppermint pie
Double Fudge brownies with vanilla ice cream

I like this menu - although I'll pass on the sweet things. But what is peppermint pie?

We're at my mum's for Christmas this year so food and menu planning is down to her (though I'm sure Christmas day will be the traditional turkey and trimmings). I get told off if I make too many "suggestions", so I'll just have to keep myself amused by planning nice food for New Year's instead.

I do need to come up with some ideas for an easily-transportable festive buffet that we can take over to my mother-in-law's sometime in December. Unfortunately she's no longer really able to cook and I find her kitchen far too cluttered to work in (she stores most of her things on the worktops because she can't reach the cupboards) so I want to prepare everything beforehand and just finish off when we arrive.

If I were to participate in a Seven Fishes Feast, my dishes would have to be:

1. Fish and chips
2. Deep-fried cod and French fries
3. Fried potatoes with a side of fried fish
4. Fish fingers & a bag of potato chips/crisps
5. Breaded fish fillets, fried, & fried potatoes
6. Seconds on the fish and chips
7. Swedish fish candies for dessert

:)

I just had a confab with the wife, and we've determined that we're going to largely suspend our normal suppers and just have loads of appetizers for the rest of the year, probably starting this weekend.

Yes!

Xmas lunch is out big day. I've been doing lunch for about 30? Years, my mum and the mother in law used to come as well, until they passed. We always have
Rolled turkey breasts with cranberry stuffing
Leg of lamb
Rolled pickled pork
Veges of
New potatoes cliff kidney from the garden
Peas from the garden
Baby carrots
Roasted potatoes, kumara, parsnip,carrots, pumpkin.
My gravy.
Daughter normally brings home made trifle. If you have room. My mum and m.i.l used to go to the bedrooms and have a snooze,lol.

Xmas is very special here for the grandkids now.

Russ

I've not heard about this - aside from fish being associated with Christmas Eve. Please tell us a bit more about the tradition - maybe a new thread? Wish I lived near you - I love fishy treats...

I like this menu - although I'll pass on the sweet things. But what is peppermint pie?

Peppermint pie is basically a chocolate cookie crust (think graham cracker crust but use Oreo type cookies instead) filled with soften peppermint or candy cane ice cream and topped with crushed peppermints or candy canes. Freeze until firm and serve.

One variation has whipped cream folded into the soften ice cream before freezing.

I love after the heavy meal with a cup of steaming hot coffee 👍

Yes, this should have its own thread. It is an Italian/American tradition, usually held on Christmas eve. There is a lot of meaning behind it, and a lot of different ways people do it. It can be seven different dishes, or one big seafood and pasta stew.

I would definitely recommend a thread just for this meal.

CD

Back
Top Bottom