Christmas planning

Local time
8:08 PM
Have you begun to do any planning relating to the Christmas season as yet? As for me, I do not really think about Christmas until the month of November rolls around. I know there are some people who start doing their Christmas shopping in October. However, I do not get the Christmas spirit so early and therefore, do not like to shop so early. A couple days ago, though, I started thinking about what kind of gifts I could give to those on my usual gift list, and I did come up with a few ideas. I guess I could call this preliminary planning, but nothing in-depth yet.

So, what planning have you done so far, if any? How early do you get the Christmas spirit?

When the "ber" month starts I am already planning for the Christmas holiday. We had inherited this from my mom who as early as September our house was already filled with the Christmas spirit where the Christmas Tree is already standing in our living room with beautiful decorations and colorful lights. Santa Claus decors is already there sitting in a chair in one corner of our living room and one in our dining room. And as early I am already listing the names of the persons I will give gifts on Christmas day and as early as September also I am starting to buy gifts little by little so that when the month of December comes I will not be in hurry buying the gifts and I will not be in a rush together with other people who are preparing for the holiday season. Every year I am doing this already and it always makes me feel relax and fulfilling when the month of December comes because I am already prepared and is ready for the Christmas holiday.

When the "ber" month starts I am already planning for the Christmas holiday. We had inherited this from my mom who as early as September our house was already filled with the Christmas spirit where the Christmas Tree is already standing in our living room with beautiful decorations and colorful lights.

Well I must say you really plan early for the Christmas season. This shows how much you really love Christmas. So, you really have a long time celebrating the season. My Christmas tree does not go up until the first week in December. But, when September opens up, that is when I remember that Christmas is just around the corner.

It is a good idea to make out a list early though, and to start buying gifts bit by bit, so that when December comes, there is not the usual hustle and bustle which almost everyone else is engaged in at this time. As I mentioned earlier though, I do not usually get the Christmas spirit until November rolls around. Most of my purchases are done late November and early December.

I have started with the calendar we give as a present and the Christmas cake always gets made in October so it has chance to mature, but otherwise nothing happens relating to Christmas until after the family birthdays have finished in mid December. That was the way family was and we have kept it that way. It has always seemed fairer for those of us with birthdays over the Christmas period. I also don't celebrate Christmas and would be much happier celebrating the Winter Solstice tbh! Somehow that means much more to me than Christmas does.

I have started with the calendar we give as a present and the Christmas cake always gets made in October so it has chance to mature, but otherwise nothing happens relating to Christmas until after the family birthdays have finished in mid December. That was the way family was and we have kept it that way. It has always seemed fairer for those of us with birthdays over the Christmas period. I also don't celebrate Christmas and would be much happier celebrating the Winter Solstice tbh! Somehow that means much more to me than Christmas does.

A Christmas cake that takes over a month to mature? I am really interested in what this is if you could share.

I do not even start to think about Christmas until Halloween in the US is over and done with. It seems like retailers are trying to push the season on to us to quickly these days and it gets to be a little overwhelming. I like to enjoy each and every holiday for what they are.

I have started looking around online for some gift ideas and I keep my eyes opened when I am out shopping. I haven't purchased anything yet but I will be starting soon.
I have quite a few people to buy for so I need to get an early start. I say that every year but I am usually the one in the stores on Christmas Eve still trying to find that perfect gift. It can be a very stressful time of year but I enjoy the family time.

Buying for family is pretty easy, bottles of wine and chocolate from Hotel Chocolate for TVC's side of the family (so many of them that the agreement in the family is that only buy gifts for adults), my brothers girls get money, they are 16 & 20, his 4 year old lad will get a noisy car/fire engine... my brother's eldest usually gives us the heads up for his pressie and dad? hmm.... he is difficult to buy for.

It looks as though my family will be with us on Christmas day again so we will start to think about food in the next few weeks. They like turkey so we will order a crown from M&S as we did last year.

Absolutely - and it must be 'fed' on a regular basis with whisky [other spirits are available].
mine is totally TT... I can't abide imposed alcohol. If I want a drink i'll go and have one. If I want a piece of cake, I don't want alcohol (sorry :blush:)

A Christmas cake that takes over a month to mature? I am really interested in what this is if you could share.
I do believe that the recipe for it is already on here. I will try and find it.

Edit: found it.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/homemade-christmas-cake.40/
It is not normally as dark as that one was. That one was made 3 years ago... all eaten now. It is not a light cake. It takes a long time to make and bake and it is substantial. I also don't ice it because I don't like marzipan and my OH does not like icing sugar...
I also now add a layer of nuts to the bottom before the mixture goes in, one that matches the pattern on the top.

A relative makes the Christmas cakes over a year before. Similar with the puddings.

A relative makes the Christmas cakes over a year before. Similar with the puddings.
I still have last years given what happened with my back. It was never unwrapped let alone cut into.. We are going to have it for this year instead. Hope I can cycle off enough calories. I think 1 slice alone is about 2,000 calories and that is without alcohol!

Back
Top Bottom