Christmas Pudding

LadyBelle

Veteran
Local time
10:00 AM
DA5C5DDE-DAA9-431E-966C-A466C9C564A6.jpeg

Do you make traditional Christmas pudding? Are you faithful to Stir Up Sunday or does anything go?
What do you serve with it and which recipe do you use?

I always make pudding (and for family members) every year, and am normally a slave to stir up Sunday but missed it this year due to illness. However I have made my puddings today! I use Nigel Slaters recipe but change it a little - change up the booze, add more figs, sometimes change the fruit up. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/food/recipes/christmaspudding_71054/amp

On Christmas Day I light the pudding with vodka (lovely colour flame) and normally have brandy butter, brandy sauce and cream available to try and keep everyone happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is Stir up Sunday and i think traditional american pudding is different than pudding in europe.

We buy our Christmas pudding :oops: - last year we had one from Lidl that everyone (except me) loved. I've never liked Christmas Pudding though so I always make sure there's an alternative (usually some form of ice cream). I do love the theatre of bringing the pudding to the table and setting it alight - I use a mixture of vodka and brandy which I warm gently first so that it lights easily.

In previous years I've made Christmas Pudding ice cream which is basically homemade vanilla ice cream with a crumbled up individual Christmas Pudding mixed in whilst its churning. And actually I quite liked that, so maybe I ought to try a bit of Christmas Pudding this year.

What is Stir up Sunday and i think traditional american pudding is different than pudding in europe.

I'd not heard of Stir-up Sunday either but this is the explanation:

What is Stir-up Sunday?
It is a tradition that harks back to Victorian times when the family would gather together to stir the Christmas pudding five weeks before Christmas. The opening words of the Book Of Common Prayer, used on the last Sunday before Advent, reads: "Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people," so the tradition stands that this is the day to get stirring!

Christmas pudding is a tradition in the UK - its a rich dark fruit pudding which is traditionally cooked by steaming and then alcohol is added to 'flame' it as its served - like this:

11290664565_6c3b01df9d_b-e1483236838754.jpg

We only started buying puds since dad started staying with us, only get a medium sized one because the 2 of us are not all that keen and dad doesn't eat much so medium is the right size. We buy from Sainsburys although we previously bought 1 from Morrisons and it was really good.

Back
Top Bottom