Christmas Tipples

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:32 AM
Are there drinks that you tend to only have at Christmas? Eggnog perhaps or Baileys - maybe a special malt whisky?

There is one thing I used to always buy at Christmas but never had at any other time - Advocaat. I think for some reason it may have been the one alcoholic drink my parents had at Christmas (they rarely drank alcohol) so I may have been allowed a taste as a kid. The stupid thing is that I don't like creamy or sweetish drinks yet I do like Advocaat (in small doses). It goes into the making of a snowball which is surely very Christmassy.

The Snowball:

2 Measures of Advocaat over ice. Top up with Lemonade or Soda, add a 0.25 measure of fresh Lime or Cordial. Garnish with a cherry or a slice of lime.

Snowball_cocktail.jpg

Last edited:
My late mum drunk advocaat as well. Along with sherry. I know both there tastes well growing up. Lol.
Me, I'm beer rum or gin. I'm easy. Nothing special at Xmas.

Russ

Beer 365 days/year. Probably treat myself to a bottle of red with the dinner at Christmas (my wife doesn't drink).

The stupid thing is that I don't like creamy or sweetish drinks yet I do like Advocaat (in small doses
Same here....I find thick creamy alcoholic drinks are just too rich for me. When everyone else reaches for the Baileys, I go for the Sambuca.

I do quite like Snowballs even though they're rather sweet. But I've been trying to replicate the hot Eierlikör I had at the Christmas market in Cologne....its a bit like a thinner and slightly sharper Advocaat. I've found quite a few recipes online but most of them are too thick and creamy :( There's still one I have try which is Advocaat mixed with mulled white wine - I think that one might be a winner as the wine should reduce the sweetness somewhat.

For other Christmas tipples it has to be be mulled wine, Bucks Fizz and of course Christmas is a great excuse to open a bottle of Cremant/Cava/Prosecco/Champagne :dance:

Cold Duck.:drink: Started as a joke by my oldest brother, but it grows on you.:peekaboo:

Cold Duck.:drink: Started as a joke by my oldest brother, but it grows on you.:peekaboo:

I'd never heard of this - for those who don't know:

The Cold Duck was made at the Ponchartrain Wine Cellars by simultaneously pouring Champagne and sparkling burgundy into a hollow stem wine glass. The recipe was based on a German legend involving Prince Clemens Wenceslaus of Saxony ordering the mixing of all the dregs of unfinished wine bottles with Champagne. The wine produced was given the name Kaltes Ende ("cold end" in German), until it was altered to the similar-sounding term Kalte Ente meaning "cold duck".[1] The exact recipe now varies, but the original combined one part of Mosel wine, one part Rhine wine with one part of Champagne, seasoned with lemons and balm mint.[2

Mimosas with a Twist.

Instead of orange juice and champagne...

Pour champagne over your favorite flavor of sorbet or sherbet

Lemon, mango, rainbow, lime, orange -- whatever sorbet or sherbet flavor you like.

I don't have holiday drink persay but i don't like egg nog or baileys. I like a little black berry brandy mixed with orange juice, or a midori sour, and a rum and caffine free coke with a little cherry syrup.

Back
Top Bottom