Christmas Treats

LadyBelle

Veteran
Local time
8:26 AM
E1079071-A3CD-464F-815A-C1F503CDEA11.jpeg
Have spent the morning making chocolate orange fudge. Saw the recipe online and thought I would give it a try. It was super easy, slow cooker dumping job and there is lots of it. Am going to take this lot into work and am planning on making some as Christmas presents closer to the time.

Am also thinking of trying a few other things too. What do you make as gifts at Christmas?

View attachment 20604 Have spent the morning making chocolate orange fudge. Saw the recipe online and thought I would give it a try. It was super easy, slow cooker dumping job and there is lots of it. Am going to take this lot into work and am planning on making some as Christmas presents closer to the time.

Am also thinking of trying a few other things too. What do you make as gifts at Christmas?

Looks lovely! I've made fudge before as a Christmas gift but not with orange. Sometimes I make chutneys or pickles as gifts.

Mmmm, fuuuudge.

The orange fudge reminds me (sadly) of my old friend who used to give out Terry's brand milk chocolate and orange break apart balls every Christmas.

terrys-milk-chocolate-orange-ball-128918-box.jpg

I miss him, and those.

We used to make coconut macaroons to give out in little baskets of treats tailored to the giftee for Christmas.

Besides the macaroons:

My dad would always get Chinese and Irish teas, cheeses, orange marmalade, and potted shrimp.

My mom would get jars of fiskeboller, butter cookies, fancy coffee, and Linzer tarts.

Other siblings got smoked salmon, caviar, crackers, cheeses, Summer sausages, and so on.

Mmmm, fuuuudge.

The orange fudge reminds me (sadly) of my old friend who used to give out Terry's brand milk chocolate and orange break apart balls every Christmas.

View attachment 20607

I miss him, and those.

We used to make coconut macaroons to give out in little baskets of treats tailored to the giftee for Christmas.

Besides the macaroons:

My dad would always get Chinese and Irish teas, cheeses, orange marmalade, and potted shrimp.

My mom would get jars of fiskeboller, butter cookies, fancy coffee, and Linzer tarts.

Other siblings got smoked salmon, caviar, crackers, cheeses, Summer sausages, and so on.

Oh - you have Terry's Chocolate Oranges too!

Chocolate truffles go down well! You can do some adult ones with liquor and some without for the kids! Some with nuts some without. Dead easy to do and taste fab! I dont tend to do em as pressies, i would just take some along to a friend or family gathering.

Looks Delish! I would ask you for the recipe, but I probably would eat them all myself. I saved a chocolate turtles recipe made in a slow cooker, but haven't gotten around to making it.

Homemade treats are always so special around holiday time. Years ago, in New York, our Italian Neighbors Carmine and Marie taught my mother to make Italian Christmas cookies. They were covered in white frosting with multicolored sprinkles. My mother passed the recipe on to me, and I made the cookies for many years, but I lost it over time. :(

Last edited:
I made marshmellows with the DGDs one year. They loved them.

My mother made bourbon balls and pecan tassies, which are basically mini pecan pies, and I had to help. Her bourbon balls were not traditional bourbon balls. They were candy made with confectioners sugar, margarine, bourbon obviously, mixed and formed into balls that then were placed on a pecan half and dipped in melted chocolate. Basically a bourbon cream center. You have to use a cheap, kind of harsh bourbon for the flavor to come through. I made some for my dad 1 year using a premium bourbon and you could hardly taste the bourbon, what a waste of good bourbon and money.

I made dad peanut brittles...i got creative with the flavors his favorite was cinnamons cayenne peanut brittle...mom like almond brittle better but she love hard carmels and choclate covered cherries...i didn't make them but always got her some. I always looked forward to reese's cup christmas trees and the mint m&ms. Then of course there were the home baked cookies...snicker doodles, chocolate crinkles, and grammas molasses cookies.

A favorite Hanukkah Cookie my grandmother used to make was called rugelach. The dough was filled with cream cheese, rolled out and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, and topped with raisins and chopped walnuts. The cookie was then rolled into a crescent shape and sprinkled with cinnamon. Sometimes the cookies contained chocolate. Delish!

My mum makes the easiest and most delicious butter biscuits. Our favourite stocking filler is Lindt truffles though (unfortunately not home made :happy:) and I want to share with you the amazing Lindt shop I randomly found yesterday. This year stockings will be heavy, I just need to figure out how to bring them with me all the way to Bulgaria, without covering my whole suitcase in chocolate :D

image1 (4).jpeg

My mum makes the easiest and most delicious butter biscuits. Our favourite stocking filler is Lindt truffles though (unfortunately not home made :happy:) and I want to share with you the amazing Lindt shop I randomly found yesterday. This year stockings will be heavy, I just need to figure out how to bring them with me all the way to Bulgaria, without covering my whole suitcase in chocolate :D

View attachment 20626

Lindt do make lovely chocolates. What are all those coloured things for?

Back
Top Bottom