Recipe Cilantro Chutney Chicken

AgileMJOLNIR

Local time
3:50 AM
This is a pretty quick Cilantro Chutney Chicken dish that I like to whip up for a quick dinner or lunch to take to work. Despite using several Jalapeño peppers this has a mild spice and just a tad of sweetness. It goes great with rice and Naan or whatever else you can think of:) Adjust the use of peppers to your liking, I like heat so I doubled the peppers! (Recipe below:)

Serves 4 people generously with rice or bread.

D874146F-3477-4C7A-8BEC-D01F142EC0BC.jpeg

00A3C955-A9CF-4EFC-BACE-2FC3135EFBA8.jpeg

Cilantro Chutney
Makes around 6 ounces (a medium-sized jar)
  • 4 ounces cilantro
  • 2 ounces peanuts, unsalted and unroasted
  • 4 tablespoons (60ml) lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon (5ml) salt
  • 4 teaspoons (20ml) brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon (1.25ml) ground turmeric
  • 2 to 3 small fresh green chilis, roughly chopped (seeded and White membrane removed if you prefer a little less heat)
Directions
To wash the cilantro, fill a bowl full of cold water and put the cilantro in it. Move the cilantro around in the water, then take it out and shake off the excess water.
Roughly chop the stems and leaves and put them in a blender. Add the peanuts, lemon juice, salt, sugar, turmeric, and 2 small chilis, and pulse them in the blender until the mixture has a smooth, almost pesto-like consistency. Add some water to help the mixture to blend if necessary. The result should be a smooth cilantro chutney which is equally sweet, fiery, and lemony. Add the remaining chili, or more lemon juice, salt, and sugar to balance it to your taste, then spoon it into your clean jar.

Chicken
Serves 4

• 2-inch (51mm) piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 fresh green chili, roughly chopped (seeded if you prefer a little less heat)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 tablespoons (30ml) canola oil
  • 2 onions, finely sliced
  • 1 3/4 pounds (0.79 kilo) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, chopped into 3/4 x 1-inch pieces
  • 6 tablespoons (90ml) cilantro chutney. Add to taste, I personally use the entire batch because i like my Chicken to be well coated.
Directions
Throw the ginger, garlic, and green chili into a mortar and pestle, along with a pinch of salt, and bash up to a coarse paste.
Put the oil into a wide-bottomed, lidded frying pan on a medium heat. When it’s hot, add the onions and fry, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes, until they are starting to turn golden. Transfer half of the onions to a bowl and put to one side.

Add the ginger, garlic, and green chili paste and cook for around 3 minutes. Put the chicken pieces into the pan, sear them on all sides and add the chutney. Stir the chutney, pop the lid on, and turn the heat down to medium-low. Cook for around 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and tender.

In the meantime, transfer the onions from the bowl into a small frying pan and continue to cook them on a medium heat for another 10 to 15 minutes, until they are dark brown, soft, and sweet, then take them off the heat.

Add a pinch of salt to the chicken little by little, until it tastes just right, then take it off the heat.
Scatter the caramelized onions over the top of the curry just before serving.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom