Recipe Cin's Roast Chicken

Cinisajoy

Veteran
Local time
9:34 AM
Alternative title: Simon and Garfunkel Chicken
What you need is a baking dish deep enough to hold a chicken. Or if you make 2 or 3 chickens use a roasting pan. Now on to the ingredients.
1 Whole Chicken
Some minced garlic (dried or fresh) or garlic powder
A bit of onion. (Same idea)
A sprinkling of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. (Optional but fabulous) I first made this in 1996.
A light touch of salt and pepper.
2 sticks butter or margarine. (Butter tastes better but if you are feeding the "oh cool free food" group, you can use margarine)
A pound or so of sliced bacon.
And aluminum foil or the roaster lid.

First off make sure your chicken is giblet free. Sprinkle the insides with your seasonings. Then take a stick of butter and put it inside the chicken. Use whichever hole is bigger.
Now set your chicken on its legs in the pan. Smear some butter over the chicken and sprinkle with a bit more seasoning. Lay the bacon over the chicken until covered completely. Cover with aluminum foil.
Bake at 250° F for about 6 hours or until the chicken lays down. Or you can bake at the temperature of your choice until the chicken lays down. You can also make this in a large slow cooker. I figure you can make it in a Nesco roaster but I have never tried that. (Don't own that device).
Now pour off the drippings and serve the chicken.

If you do what my husband did at a dinner party we held, tell the guests the sauce/gravy/whatever they call it is a secret family recipe.

He had poured the drippings into a bowl and set it to the side. All the guests thought it was gravy for the potatoes.
Did I mention that only one guest could really cook?
The reason for the secret family recipe is we were 20 minutes minimum away from the EMTs and we didn't want the guests having heart attacks over how many calories they just ate.

Interesting. A long slow cook on its legs. How do you balance it - and what is the theory behind cooking it on its legs?

The breast is down and stays moist. And all those flavors permeate the breasts. Discovered that by accident.

Back
Top Bottom