Recipe Citrus Baked Chicken with Tarragon.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:44 PM
This is a really easy dish to make. The marinade and the oven do most of the work. If you can't obtain pomegranate molasses, substitute honey or maple syrup. This will make the dish taste sweeter - but you may prefer that!

IMGP0870.jpg

Photographed today in natural light

Ingredients
(serves 2)
for marinade:
1 satsuma (or mandarin or clementine)
2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
1 tsp salt

for the tray bake:
3 - 4 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
1/2 lemon sliced into rounds
1 satsuma sliced into rounds
Fresh tarragon sprigs
Whole black olives (about 8). You could use green olives.
1 tbsp crushed coriander seeds
Olive oil

Method

• Simmer one whole unpeeled satsuma in water for approximately 45mins to an hour until tender.
  • Chop (remove any seeds) and blitz the whole satsuma to a thick pulp.
  • Mix the pulp with the pomegranate molasses and 1 tsp of salt. Put the chicken thighs in a bowl or food bag and coat in the mixture. Marinade for up to 24 hours. (I left it for 8 hours).
  • Heat the oven to 180C.
  • Line a baking tin with foil and baking parchment.
  • Assemble all your ingredients in the baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil.
  • Bake for 45 mins to 1 hr, basting occasionally. You want to allow some charring of the citrus fruits and chicken.
  • Scatter some more fresh tarragon over the top and serve with buttered new potatoes and a green salad. You don’t have to eat the citrus slices, but I do!
IMGP0869.jpg

Last edited:
For a minute I thought it was lemon in the dish and thought it looked like too much but after reading I realised it was mandarine. I am guessing satsuma is related.

For a minute I thought it was lemon in the dish and thought it looked like too much but after reading I realised it was mandarine. I am guessing satsuma is related.
Its both lemons and satsumas. You don't have to eat them but they do add flavour. Satsumas are pretty well interchangeable with mandarins and clementines. You could just use regular oranges I think - but the rind of oranges is rather thicker so it might make the marinade too bitter.

Its both lemons and satsumas. You don't have to eat them but they do add flavour. Satsumas are pretty well interchangeable with mandarins and clementines. You could just use regular oranges I think - but the rind of oranges is rather thicker so it might make the marinade too bitter.
I missed the lemon bit.

Back
Top Bottom