Recipe Classic White Decorating/Piping Frosting using Crisco

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:47 AM
This is a frosting to be used when piping to decorate cakes. It can be used to frost a cake but will need additional thinning.

I always used a buttercake recipe or mix with this frosting as the flavors complimented. When I used a white cake, like for weddings or showers, I either used a rich white cake recipe or doctored up a mix. There are quite a few ways to doctor up a white cake mix, just Google and choose the one that looks good to you.

Classic White Frosting - Crisco

INGREDIENTS
  • 2/3 C. Crisco® or other All-Vegetable Shortening
  • 1 1/2 tsps. Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 4 C. powdered sugar
  • 5 to 6 Tbsps. milk

DIRECTIONS
  1. BEAT shortening, vanilla and salt in large bowl with mixer on high speed until fluffy.
  2. ADD powdered sugar. Beat on low speed, you dont want a snowstorm in kitchen, then gradually add milk, until evenly blended.
  3. BEAT on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.

TIPS: make sure you use new, unopened crisco or other vegetable shortening. It develops an off taste that you can taste in the frosting if it's stored for long.

Instead of the milk to thin if there is a dairy allergy, and be careful not to use too much, use almond milk or even water. I always used about half of the liquid to thin some unless I was piping lettering, cornelli lace or string work, then I used the full amount.

Make sure the cake is totally cool. This frosting holds up to heat better than real buttercream, but it still melts.

I always stored the finished cakes in the refrigerator so the frosting and chocolate hold their shape.

Back
Top Bottom