Recipe Clove Bison (or Beef) Tongue with a Pan Fried Finish, and Onion and Bell Pepper

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
1:09 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
This bison tongue was obtained from Wild Idea, a bison-raising venture in Montana. And they are effectively raised wild, as the ranch covers a LOT of square mileage - well over a hundred I believe.

bison-tongue-cooking.jpg

For this venture, I decided to go for a braising, "firm but shreddable" which in the below is recommended to cook for 1 to 2 days at 156 F / 69 C. One day seemed enough to me. The link refers to beef but bison/buffalo should not be any different. The second part of my decision, in order to differentiate this recipe from older profiles I've used, is to then slice the tongue relatively thinly, and fry it in a skillet. With items that happened to be around the house, anyway.

How to Sous Vide Beef Tongue Times and Temperatures

I'm going to mention we grew up with mother's home-cooked tongue recipe, and frankly I never saw anything "odd: about eating this delicious piece of meat. It may well have been something her own mother would make back down in Kentucky. Truth be told, tongue is a muscle, not an organ, anyway.

TONGUE SOUS VIDE: (Braised at 156 F / 69 C).

For this I wanted to be simple. I didn't even bother to add salt to the sous vide bag. There's a certain natural saltiness to tongue anyway. Ground cloves, however, sounded like a great way to bring this dish to a flavor ambiance that Mother always used. Adding slits through the skin and into the meat would help the clove flavor permeate deeply.

bison-tongue-slice-2.jpg

To be honest, you don't even need to pan fry this. I simply did it for the extra flavor - and besides I've never pan fried nor seared tongue before, so I figured, why not???

For the veggies, I wanted something that would join this in the skillet and would pan-fry nicely (and which would happen to be in my home). You can start the peppers with the onions, or do as I did and add the pepper after the onion and then the meat - I know I'm rather alone on this, but I really really prefer my peppers (bell or poblano) to have some more au-dente crunch to them. (I wrote the recipe for those who would prefer the peppers a bit more cooked.)

The drippings from the tongue are good - you can save what you don't use in the cooking step for gravy makings for some future dish. Thickened up, it may even be great over mashed sweet potatoes, with that clove profile.

The tongue cooked this way is quite moist, and holds a good flavor. You don't need condiments for it, but if you like, a good Dijon mustard and/or horseradish makes for an excellent side choice.

Leftovers can be re-heated and enjoyed as-is, or chop this into a salad. Or put the slices into sandwiches, either hot or cold. This is slightly shred-able, so you could enjoy adding leftovers to tacos.

Prep Time: 15 minutes.
Sous Vide Time: 24-48 hours. I used 26 hours.
Sous Vide Temp: 156 F / 69 C.
Cook/Sear Time: 15 minutes.
Rest Time: Not needed.
Serves: 3-4.
Cuisine: American, with probably a bit of Southern or Pennsylvania Dutch accent.
Leftovers: Yes. Just re-heat. Or, eat cold.

Sous Vide Bison Tongue, Pan-Fried Finish with Onion & Bell Pepper

• One bison (or beef) tongue.
  • 1 heaping teaspoon ground cloves.
  • 1 medium onion, chopped.
  • 1 large bell pepper or (as I did) 2 poblano peppers. De-seeded and chopped.
  • Sea salt and ground pepper to taste.
  • Optional: Dijon mustard, a brown spicy mustard, or horseradish (which can be "prepared" ie, this is just shredded horseradish -- or a creamy horseradish sauce).
Pre-heat the sous vide pot to 156 F / 69 C.

Take the raw tongue, and make piercings into the skin and flesh, using a paring knife.

Rub the ground cloves all over the tongue, including into the slits.

Insert the tongue into a large sous vide bag, and either vacuum seal or use a silicon zip lock style bag with water displacement method. (If you don't have large enough a bag, using two smaller bags and cutting the tongue in half will also do.) I recommend NOT using a store bought plastic zip lock bag as the plastic used for those will give an "off" taste to the meat at the temperature used here.

Place the bagged tongue in the water bath, weighing it down if necessary with a suitable object. Cover the top of the pot or bath with a lid or foil.

Allow to sous vide for 24-48 hours, checking water level often to make sure that the water hasn't evaporated too low - add more as needed.

Prep the veggies shortly prior to the end of the sous-vide time.

Remove tongue from bag when ready to use, reserving the liquids.

Try to remove the skin - for some reason I was not able to do so (as I can with tongue cooked by more conventional means. If you can not, either, it turns out that the skin prepared as this was prepared, is actually soft and edible.

Begin to sauté the veggies in a large skillet, with the cooking oil. Allow to cook until the onions go translucent, about 8-10 minutes.

Slice the tongue into approximately 1/3 inch slices, and add to the skillet, along with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the meat of each slice to brown, about two minutes, and flip to fry the other side.

Add about 1/3rd cup of the sous vide broth.

Cook down for about five more minutes, turning the meat once or twice.

Serve and enjoy.

Posted because of current Offal discussions...

I really like tongue and this is an interesting recipe. I can imagine that the cloves would be perfect. A very English twist, in fact. Sous vide is a good way to cook tongue, I'm sure. Otherwise you have a bubbling pot on the hob for many hours. Tongue is not easily available as a fresh product here but most supermarkets sell ready cooked and sliced tongue (very thinly sliced) and its eaten as a cold meat (see below). I make a salad sometimes of cold tongue with grapefruit segments and poppy seeds as a starter - its rather pretty.

This bison tongue was obtained from Wild Idea, a bison-raising venture in Montana. And they are effectively raised wild, as the ranch covers a LOT of square mileage - well over a hundred I believe.

View attachment 41464

For this venture, I decided to go for a braising, "firm but shreddable" which in the below is recommended to cook for 1 to 2 days at 156 F / 69 C. One day seemed enough to me. The link refers to beef but bison/buffalo should not be any different. The second part of my decision, in order to differentiate this recipe from older profiles I've used, is to then slice the tongue relatively thinly, and fry it in a skillet. With items that happened to be around the house, anyway.

How to Sous Vide Beef Tongue Times and Temperatures

I'm going to mention we grew up with mother's home-cooked tongue recipe, and frankly I never saw anything "odd: about eating this delicious piece of meat. It may well have been something her own mother would make back down in Kentucky. Truth be told, tongue is a muscle, not an organ, anyway.

TONGUE SOUS VIDE: (Braised at 156 F / 69 C).

For this I wanted to be simple. I didn't even bother to add salt to the sous vide bag. There's a certain natural saltiness to tongue anyway. Ground cloves, however, sounded like a great way to bring this dish to a flavor ambiance that Mother always used. Adding slits through the skin and into the meat would help the clove flavor permeate deeply.

View attachment 41465

To be honest, you don't even need to pan fry this. I simply did it for the extra flavor - and besides I've never pan fried nor seared tongue before, so I figured, why not???

For the veggies, I wanted something that would join this in the skillet and would pan-fry nicely (and which would happen to be in my home). You can start the peppers with the onions, or do as I did and add the pepper after the onion and then the meat - I know I'm rather alone on this, but I really really prefer my peppers (bell or poblano) to have some more au-dente crunch to them. (I wrote the recipe for those who would prefer the peppers a bit more cooked.)

The drippings from the tongue are good - you can save what you don't use in the cooking step for gravy makings for some future dish. Thickened up, it may even be great over mashed sweet potatoes, with that clove profile.

The tongue cooked this way is quite moist, and holds a good flavor. You don't need condiments for it, but if you like, a good Dijon mustard and/or horseradish makes for an excellent side choice.

Leftovers can be re-heated and enjoyed as-is, or chop this into a salad. Or put the slices into sandwiches, either hot or cold. This is slightly shred-able, so you could enjoy adding leftovers to tacos.

Prep Time: 15 minutes.
Sous Vide Time: 24-48 hours. I used 26 hours.
Sous Vide Temp: 156 F / 69 C.
Cook/Sear Time: 15 minutes.
Rest Time: Not needed.
Serves: 3-4.
Cuisine: American, with probably a bit of Southern or Pennsylvania Dutch accent.
Leftovers: Yes. Just re-heat. Or, eat cold.

Sous Vide Bison Tongue, Pan-Fried Finish with Onion & Bell Pepper

• One bison (or beef) tongue.
  • 1 heaping teaspoon ground cloves.
  • 1 medium onion, chopped.
  • 1 large bell pepper or (as I did) 2 poblano peppers. De-seeded and chopped.
  • Sea salt and ground pepper to taste.
  • Optional: Dijon mustard, a brown spicy mustard, or horseradish (which can be "prepared" ie, this is just shredded horseradish -- or a creamy horseradish sauce).
Pre-heat the sous vide pot to 156 F / 69 C.

Take the raw tongue, and make piercings into the skin and flesh, using a paring knife.

Rub the ground cloves all over the tongue, including into the slits.

Insert the tongue into a large sous vide bag, and either vacuum seal or use a silicon zip lock style bag with water displacement method. (If you don't have large enough a bag, using two smaller bags and cutting the tongue in half will also do.) I recommend NOT using a store bought plastic zip lock bag as the plastic used for those will give an "off" taste to the meat at the temperature used here.

Place the bagged tongue in the water bath, weighing it down if necessary with a suitable object. Cover the top of the pot or bath with a lid or foil.

Allow to sous vide for 24-48 hours, checking water level often to make sure that the water hasn't evaporated too low - add more as needed.

Prep the veggies shortly prior to the end of the sous-vide time.

Remove tongue from bag when ready to use, reserving the liquids.

Try to remove the skin - for some reason I was not able to do so (as I can with tongue cooked by more conventional means. If you can not, either, it turns out that the skin prepared as this was prepared, is actually soft and edible.

Begin to sauté the veggies in a large skillet, with the cooking oil. Allow to cook until the onions go translucent, about 8-10 minutes.

Slice the tongue into approximately 1/3 inch slices, and add to the skillet, along with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the meat of each slice to brown, about two minutes, and flip to fry the other side.

Add about 1/3rd cup of the sous vide broth.

Cook down for about five more minutes, turning the meat once or twice.

Serve and enjoy.

Posted because of current Offal discussions...

Thanks for the post, I love tongue, but as mentioned we can't get lambs tongues here. I really should try beef tongue?? A friend makes it occasionally and I've never thought about asking her for some. A sous vide is not something I have on my list of purchases as yet?

I may revisit this later, thanks.

Russ

Tongue is not easily available as a fresh product here but most supermarkets sell ready cooked and sliced tongue (very thinly sliced) and its eaten as a cold meat (see below). I make a salad sometimes of cold tongue with grapefruit segments and poppy seeds as a starter - its rather pretty.

View attachment 41492

Your salad idea sounds great. I have never seen already cooked and sliced tongue in our supermarkets. Sometimes we can find beef tongue, whole and uncooked, but this is rarer and rarer to find. Back when I was young, mom had a choice in the supermarket between smoked and unsmoked tongue. She often selected the former.

Thanks for the post, I love tongue, but as mentioned we can't get lambs tongues here. I really should try beef tongue?? A friend makes it occasionally and I've never thought about asking her for some. A sous vide is not something I have on my list of purchases as yet?

I may revisit this later, thanks.

Russ

Yes, do look for beef tongue. It needs to cook longer than lamb's tongue.

Back
Top Bottom