Recipe Cobnut and Guinness Brownies

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:54 AM
Thought I'd jump on the Guinness bandwagon whilst also celebrating the Kentish Cobnut (in season now). You can substitute other nuts. Hazelnuts are similar. You could also substitute the Guinness with any dark beer (though @classic33 might not approve).

150g Plain flour (APF)
80g Cocoa
220g 80% dark chocolate
90g Butter
120g Dark muscovado sugar
4 beaten Eggs
225ml Guinness
150g roasted and chopped Cobnuts

You need a square brownie tin (9 inches) lined with cooking parchment.
  • Pre-heat your oven to 170˚C (325˚F or gas mark 3)
  • Mix together the cocoa powder and flour (sift if you want, I don’t)
  • Break up the chocolate. Place in a glass bowl with the butter, melt over a pan of simmering water (I just melt in a bowl in the microwave)
  • Add sugar to the melted chocolate and stir.
  • Add the eggs gradually whilst stirring
  • Add the Guinness and then fold in the flour and cocoa powder.
  • Add half the nuts to the mixture. Pour mix into tin & sprinkle over the rest of the nuts.
  • Bake for 25-30 mins. Cool in tin and turn out. Divide into 8 pieces.

<Is led to corner, sobbing quietly>

I have decided that for breakfast tomorrow, I am going to scramble my eggs in a vat of Orkney Dragonhead Stout. Should I survive, I will relay the results.
They drink stout in Scotland!

1. Not duck
2. We have a fine array of Scottish stouts. Dragonhead is probably my favourite. Cairngorm Brewery does Black Gold, which is also a splendid concoction. Williams Brothers produce three black beers; Black, Midnight Sun and March of the Penguins, all very good. I also like Brewed Awakening, made by Cromarty Brewing. There are heaps more, though sadly Broughton have discontinued their Oatmeal Stout.
3. Being a boring traditionalist, I had the Dragonhead in the evening and the scrambled eggs in the morning. I have not yet mastered the Keith Moon breakfast.

1. Not duck
2. We have a fine array of Scottish stouts. Dragonhead is probably my favourite. Cairngorm Brewery does Black Gold, which is also a splendid concoction. Williams Brothers produce three black beers; Black, Midnight Sun and March of the Penguins, all very good. I also like Brewed Awakening, made by Cromarty Brewing. There are heaps more, though sadly Broughton have discontinued their Oatmeal Stout.
3. Being a boring traditionalist, I had the Dragonhead in the evening and the scrambled eggs in the morning. I have not yet mastered the Keith Moon breakfast.
Beer scrambled eggs. See new Recipe.

Caribbean girl are you around? What's cobnut in these parts. I had to Google it quickly but I don't know I quite get it. I am now down to one Guinness and I have tried nothing. I made an announcement to replace my Guinness which I requested for my recipes. I guess I was dragging my feet when it came to actually trying something.I won't make any big plans, I'll just get up one morning and do something and bring it to the forum hit or miss. Sadly it can't be this recipe as I have no idea what Cobnut is.

Caribbean girl are you around? What's cobnut in these parts. I had to Google it quickly but I don't know I quite get it. I am now down to one Guinness and I have tried nothing. I made an announcement to replace my Guinness which I requested for my recipes. I guess I was dragging my feet when it came to actually trying something.I won't make any big plans, I'll just get up one morning and do something and bring it to the forum hit or miss. Sadly it can't be this recipe as I have no idea what Cobnut is.
They are really very similar to hazelnuts, if you have those. But really, you could use any nuts you like!

They are really very similar to hazelnuts, if you have those. But really, you could use any nuts you like!
I was hoping Caribbean girl would help me out on this one but I'll just have to do what I do well. Stop people and ask if they ever heard of cobnut and continue to research it.

I was hoping Caribbean girl would help me out on this one but I'll just have to do what I do well. Stop people and ask if they ever heard of cobnut and continue to research it.
I doubt anyone will have heard of them in Barbados! After all, I hadn't come across Star Apples until I was researching the Star Quiz. But then again, you never know! They are only found in the UK and in Kent where I live, in particular. In fact, they are often called Kentish Cobnuts. They are a varieties of Corylus. Hazlenuts are also part of this family. They were introduced here as a cultivated tree in Kent in the 19th century but many now grow wild here. So I can go picking! They are eaten fresh rather than partially dried like most nuts.

If you really want to know more about them, read this: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...tish-seasonal-delicacy-this-year-8827493.html

I think it might just be around here but maybe in a specialty store of sorts. At a glance it looked like a miniature dried coconut or maybe a nutmeg but then I sobered up and it really looked like neither. I'll take a more in depth look at it's history later.

Back
Top Bottom