Coconut Cream Pie

L_B

Veteran
Local time
3:37 PM
My granddaughter's request for Christmas dessert is Coconut Cream Pie. Does anybody have a recipe for it? I was kind of looking for an old recipe. My mom use to make one years ago but sadly when she passed all her recipes were gone too.

I love coconut cream pie. I saw a recipe that was called impossibly easy coconut pie. I think it was posted originally on facebook, but I think you could find it if you googled. Anyway, it looked quite simple and all you had to do was to use I think coconut cream pie pudding mix...and a few other things. The impressive thing about this pie is that it made it's own crust so it couldn't be easier..! I don't have the recipe handy, but I am sure Mr. google will be able to help you. What would we do with out it Eh? I added the eh for you Ms. Canada..:D

Classic Coconut Cream Pie

coconut-cream-pie.jpg

Ingredients
1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 cups half-and-half
4 egg yolks
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
2 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup sugar
Garnish:
toasted coconut

Preparation
  • Fit 1 piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp. Prick bottom and sides of piecrust with a fork. Bake according to package directions for a one-crust pie.
  • Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan. Whisk together half-and-half and egg yolks. Gradually whisk egg mixture into sugar mixture; bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat.
  • Stir in butter, 1 cup coconut, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap, placing plastic wrap directly on filling in pan; let stand 30 minutes. Spoon custard mixture into prepared crust, cover and chill 30 minutes or until set.
  • Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, beating until soft peaks form. Spread or pipe whipped cream over pie filling. Garnish, if desired.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/coconut-cream-pie

Its funny but this isn't a familiar dish at all in the UK. In fact, not one I've ever heard of. I've been looking at these recipes wondering how it would taste. I think its like a custard tart with coconut, topped with whipped cream. I'm not a fan of sweet stuff, but I happen to be partial to a custard tart! Traditionally, we put grated nutmeg into custard tarts .... and thinking about it, this might be a wonderful addition to the coconut cream pie.

Custard tarts:
Custard-tart-resized.jpg

Its funny but this isn't a familiar dish at all in the UK. In fact, not one I've ever heard of. I've been looking at these recipes wondering how it would taste. I think its like a custard tart with coconut, topped with whipped cream. I'm not a fan of sweet stuff, but I happen to be partial to a custard tart! Traditionally, we put grated nutmeg into custard tarts .... and thinking about it, this might be a wonderful addition to the coconut cream pie.

Custard tarts:
View attachment 2139
And there was me thinking it looked like a coconut version of a lemon meringue pie from @classic33's photo!

Back
Top Bottom