Recipe Coconut, lime, cilantro dipping sauce

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:35 AM
We used this for the shrimp spring rolls we made last night. Craig and I both absolutely loved it. We are going to try it with some coconut shrimp or coconut chicken fingers next.

2 ounces canola oil
1/2-ounce garlic, chopped
1-ounce shallot or sweet onion, chopped
1-ounce lemon grass, chopped
1-ounce ginger, chopped
4 ounces sushi/rice vinegar
1-ounce mirin
8 ounces coconut milk
1/4 tsp Fish sauce, or to taste
1 teaspoon sambal, garlic-chili condiment
1/8 bunch cilantro/coriander, chopped fine
2 limes, juiced

Pour the oil into a small saucepan and heat over medium until hot. Add the garlic, shallot, lemon grass, and ginger. Cook until shallot is transparent. Add the vinegar and mirin to deglaze and cook until reduced by half. Add the coconut milk and cook until thick and reduced by half. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Once cool, strain through a fine mesh colander, stirring and pressing to get as much liquid out as possible. Add remaining ingredients, mix thoroughly and let sit for at least 10 minutes.

I love this recipe but I can't do coconut milk (not an allergy but a nasty reaction/intolerance). I could sub yoghurt.

I love this recipe but I can't do coconut milk (not an allergy but a nasty reaction/intolerance). I could sub yoghurt.

I don't think that would work because it would totally change the flavor profile as coconut is an integral part, and the inherent sweetness in coconut milk balances out the acid/tart flavors of the vinegar, mirin and lime juice.

I don't think that would work because it would totally change the flavor profile as coconut is an integral part, and the inherent sweetness in coconut milk balances out the acid/tart flavors of the vinegar, mirin and lime juice.

Oh well... not sure what else I could sub. Maybe sweetened almond milk.

We used this for the shrimp spring rolls we made last night. Craig and I both absolutely loved it. We are going to try it with some coconut shrimp or coconut chicken fingers next.

2 ounces canola oil
1/2-ounce garlic, chopped
1-ounce shallot or sweet onion, chopped
1-ounce lemon grass, chopped
1-ounce ginger, chopped
4 ounces sushi/rice vinegar
1-ounce mirin
8 ounces coconut milk
1/4 tsp Fish sauce, or to taste
1 teaspoon sambal, garlic-chili condiment
1/8 bunch cilantro/coriander, chopped fine
2 limes, juiced

Pour the oil into a small saucepan and heat over medium until hot. Add the garlic, shallot, lemon grass, and ginger. Cook until shallot is transparent. Add the vinegar and mirin to deglaze and cook until reduced by half. Add the coconut milk and cook until thick and reduced by half. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Once cool, strain through a fine mesh colander, stirring and pressing to get as much liquid out as possible. Add remaining ingredients, mix thoroughly and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
I like the sound of this - some of my favourite flavours in there. I am not familiar with sambal, but I am thinking chopped fresh chilli might work?

Have you ever serve it hot? I bet it would be lovely with fresh mussels steamed in it.

I like the sound of this - some of my favourite flavours in there. I am not familiar with sambal, but I am thinking chopped fresh chilli might work?

Have you ever serve it hot? I bet it would be lovely with fresh mussels steamed in it.

Sambal is a chili-garlic condiment, kind of a very, very thick sauce/paste. You could sub sriracha.

First time we ever made this. It would be good with mussels, but made per the recipe would be way too thick to actually steam them. It would have to be thinned down greatly or the mussels steamed separately and then sauced.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom