Sea salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
Coconut Oil

Method

Remove the heads from the shrimp.
Peel - tail on
Remove the intestine
Rinse and pat dry

Season shrimp with salt and pepper

Mix bread crumbs and coconut on a plate. Additional salt and pepper if desired.
Whisk 2 eggs in a bowl
Put parchment paper on another plate.

One at a time: dip shrimp in egg, roll in bread crumb coconut mixture, repeat. Place on the parchment lined plate.

Heat enough coconut oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet approximately 1/2" to 3/4"

Add the shrimp. Do not crowd. When shrimp begins to turn gold turn. Remove to a draining rack as soon as the second side is golden. Do not over cook

I almost did not have enough shrimp for a photo. We were both eating the shrimp as fast as it came out of the skillet.

Coconut Risotto

I had a happy accident with the Risotto. Actually almost tossed it.

Ingredients

1 cup Arborio Rice
3 tbsp. butter - 1 tbsp. reserved
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 13.5 oz. can of coconut milk
An equal amount of chicken or seafood broth
1 cup dry white wine
!/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes +

Method

Heat the coconut milk and broth
Move to a burner set on low - just enough to keep it hot.
In another heavy sauce pan melt the butter and coconut milk
Add the rice.
Cook stirring frequently until the rice is mostly translucent with a white dot in the center of each grain. 5 - 7 minutes

This is where I nearly gave up. Instead of becoming translucent the rice browned! If I had not used the last of my Arborio rice I would have started over. It smelled nice - nutty so I went with it. I figured if it was awful it would not be included in my submission. I am guessing that the rice browned because of the coconut oil. I usually use EVOO or Canola oil.

Add 1 cup wine.
Stir until the wine is absorbed
Add the milk/broth mixture a ladleful at a time. Stir until each ladle of milk is fully absorbed before adding the next one.

When all of the liquid has been absorbed stir in a tbsp. of butter and 1/4 cup coconut flakes
Plate and add additional coconut flakes on top.

The browning of the rice added a nice nuttiness which complemented the subtle coconut.

Serve with a Coconut Salad

salad1.jpg

Mixed greens, garden cucumbers, red grapes quartered length wise. Sea Salt Fresh ground pepper, just enough EVOO to coat the greens and a little Balsamic Vinegar. Toss. Top with crumbled Feta (or Gorgonzola or Blue Cheese) Sprinkle with unsweetened shredded coconut.

Okay - I'm done. Time to tackle the Spice Challenge.

Last edited:
Spectacular! :bravo:

I had thoughts of making coconut shrimp, which I've done once before, but they wouldn't have looked as flawless as yours.

The risotto is really an all-in coconut preparation, with 3 forms of coconut. I first thought this would be too sweet, but 1/4 cup of the flakes isn't much for the other quantities, and coconut milk usually isn't too sweet on its own.

And, I was skeptical of how the salad would work with the sprinkle of shredded coconut (I assume these are all the pre-sweetened type). But, a strong cheese should mute the sweetness (and the sweetness should temper the power of the cheese).

Wow. Just...wow.

Back
Top Bottom