Coffee and Chicory

Local time
8:32 PM
My husband and I were able to spend a quick weekend getaway in New Orleans last weekend. Every time we go we have to stand in line at Cafe du Monde for some beignets and coffee. This time we were a little smarter...we brought a can of their delicious coffee home with us.

I'm not exactly sure what chicory is, other than it is a plant of some sort, but whoever thought to mix into coffee grounds sure knew what he was doing. It just adds a subtle extra flavor to the coffee and it smells so good!

Oh wow, sounds very delicious. I am a coffee addict so as you can imagine I am eager to know what chicory they've used. I do hope that there is a website one can visit to get all the answers. I am glad that you where able to take some home with you, enjoy it!

The coffee is actually available at the supermarket and since you're in Dallas I am surprised it's not available there. I used to love CDM when I drank coffee with milk and sugar. Chicory is an herb you can grow yourself at home. It's the root that is used to make coffee less bitter, and if memory serves it's also used in tea to aid in stomach issues.

As far as I know chicory was always used here to bulk out coffee, chicory being cheaper than coffee. More recently, it's been used as a replacement for coffee altogether as a healthier option. Personally, I'd rather just have coffee or nothing. (or tea)

ChanellG, I never even thought to look here, I'm sure it is available. Usually when I buy coffee for home I am on autopilot and just grab the box of K-cups and toss them into the cart! I'll have to keep an eye out...although, running out of coffee needing to buy more might, just maybe, give me a great excuse for another weekend getaway. I never pass up a chance to visit New Orleans!

ChanellG, I never even thought to look here, I'm sure it is available. Usually when I buy coffee for home I am on autopilot and just grab the box of K-cups and toss them into the cart! I'll have to keep an eye out...although, running out of coffee needing to buy more might, just maybe, give me a great excuse for another weekend getaway. I never pass up a chance to visit New Orleans!

It's only a five hour drive :) If you do decide to make the trip again soon, let me know. Someone had actually started a coffee festival in the fall a while back, but I am not sure if it is still taking place. I only recently learned that you could just buy the chicory on its own to improve coffee not sold with it already blended in.

I have had coffee with chicory added as a filler, some time back, I don't remember if it helped to make the coffee smoother or not. The niext time I purchase coffee I will try some with chicory in it.

Drinking coffee is not bad as long as you take it in moderation like a cup or two a day is just okay. It had also antioxidant benefits that we can by drinking a cup of coffee. And I prefer to drink coffee or tea instead of chicory which I do not know.

Back
Top Bottom