Recipe Coffee Infused Eggs

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:54 AM
I have a hunch not many people are going to try this - and perhaps its an acquired taste but I love them. It couldn't be easier to do so you could make just one egg to try it out if you want to know how it tastes. Just pop a shelled hardboiled egg in a mug of strong coffee and leave overnight. Do they taste of coffee? Yes - a subtle roasted savoury taste. Is it a pretty dish? I rather like their dark mysterious look but I think it could put some folk off!

fullsizeoutput_4269.jpeg

Ingredients
Hard boiled eggs, shelled
Strong coffee (enough to cover the eggs)
Cardamom, cumin and sea salt

Method
  1. Immerse eggs in the coffee and leave overnight.
  2. Serve with ground cardamom, cumin seeds and sea salt to dip
fullsizeoutput_426b.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a hunch not many people are going to try this - and perhaps its an acquired taste but I love them. It couldn't be easier to do so you could make just one egg to try it out if you want to know how it tastes. Just pop a shelled hardboiled egg in a mug of strong coffee and leave overnight. Do they taste of coffee? Yes - a subtle roasted savoury taste. Is it a pretty dish? I rather like their dark mysterious look but I think it could put some folk off!
View attachment 22727

That egg looks awesome. I won't be running away from that. Yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeessssssss!
Want even a little more flavor? Try adding a teaspoon of Balsamic Vinegar to the coffee.

I was in Taipai in the 90s and came across tea infused eggs on a roadside stall. It was a bit late and I'd had a few so the egg didn't much taste of other than egg. As far as I was told they crack a hard boiled egg (all over) and then stew it in boiling tea with soy sauce etc. The tea seeps through the cracks to produce these.

tea-eggs.jpg

I was in Taipai in the 90s and came across tea infused eggs on a roadside stall. It was a bit late and I'd had a few so the egg didn't much taste of other than egg. As far as I was told they crack a hard boiled egg (all over) and then stew it in boiling tea with soy sauce etc. The tea seeps through the cracks to produce these.

View attachment 22783
Amazing, I love it!

Back
Top Bottom