Cold Cuts for Everybody

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
9:28 PM
I'm a Cold Cut fan. I love to make club sandwiches, Bumstead sandwiches, Sub Sandwiches and so on.

What're your favorite Cold Cuts? Pastrami, Canadian Bacon, Prosciutto and Soprasetta are tops on my list, along with smoked Turkey and smoked Ham. I'm not a fan of Bologna or Head Cheese, but sliced Roast Beef is OK. Salami and Pepperoni? I prefer Salami, but Soprasetta outshines both and is less fatty than Pancetta.

Sandwich cheeses include Swiss, Provolone, Havarti, Colby, Cheddar, Monterey Jack and usually excluded from my interests, American.

I love cold cuts (which around here we call lunchmeat).

My all-time favorite is Lebanon (pronounced as two syllables, "Leb'nun") bologna - like if bologna and salami had a baby. Close relatives are also Old-Fashioned Loaf and Dutch Loaf.

Beyond that, salami, sandwich pepperoni, ham, bologna, and roast beef. Not a big fan of turkey, I'd rather just have chicken. There are other specialty items I like as well, like Pickle Loaf and Olive Loaf, though I ate so much Olive Loaf once, I puked it all up all over the inside of my car, and I've somewhat avoided it since (and that was well over 30 years ago).

Cheese...most any fairly mild cheese will do, like cheddar or Swiss, and some sandwiches call for a certain cheese. I always have bologna with American cheese, for example, and Swiss would never go on that, though it's my preference with ham. I also like Muenster, and Colby is always welcome, especially on roast beef.

I'll use whatever sandwich bread is available, but I do prefer plain white bread for bologna. I also don't like a lot of additions to most sandwiches. Lettuce is good on bologna and ham, onion is good on roast beef, and I like tomato on some of those, but salami gets banana peppers, and not much else.

I like a deluxe club sandwich when we eat out, and I like the bacon that goes on it, but I'm never that fancy at home. Every now and then, depending on the sandwich, sliced hard-boiled egg is good.

Condiments, I'm basically a mustard and/or mayonnaise person.

My favorite is Cold smoked pork tenderloin. Smoked meat and cheese is a religion here.
1605161238266.png
1605161264032.png
1605161319520.png
we have 5/6 regional styles of air dried ham. Most villages have a place that you can take a raw leg too and they will cure it for a fee.
1605161618279.png

Cold cuts over here usually refers to using up leftover meat, usually from a Sunday roast, so typically beef, pork, lamb or chicken. Usually rated with salad and pickles, or reheated vegetables.

Looking up an Internet search on cold cuts brought up a two week old article warning of a listeria outbreak in deli meats in US eastern states. New York, Massachusetts and Florida were named as hotspots with ten infections reported so far, and one death. Be careful guys.

Cold cuts over here usually refers to using up leftover meat, usually from a Sunday roast, so typically beef, pork, lamb or chicken. Usually rated with salad and pickles, or reheated vegetables.

Looking up an Internet search on cold cuts brought up a two week old article warning of a listeria outbreak in deli meats in US eastern states. New York, Massachusetts and Florida were named as hotspots with ten infections reported so far, and one death. Be careful guys.

Listeria can get into any kind of food. Outbreaks have mostly been in veggies in the US. It comes down to maintaining perfectly sanitary processing facilities. The saving grace is that tracking of food is very sophisticated, and very effective in the age of technology.

As for the term, "cold cuts," I rarely hear it used anymore. I mostly hear "deli meats."

I don't eat deli meats much anymore, because they are generally loaded with sodium, which I can't have much of. I love a good club sandwhich, but if I have one, I have to adjust the rest of my food for the day to accommodate it.

Club sandwich - Wikipedia

CD

Listeria can get into any kind of food. Outbreaks have mostly been in veggies in the US. It comes down to maintaining perfectly sanitary processing facilities. The saving grace is that tracking of food is very sophisticated, and very effective in the age of technology.

As for the term, "cold cuts," I rarely hear it used anymore. I mostly hear "deli meats."

I don't eat deli meats much anymore, because they are generally loaded with sodium, which I can't have much of. I love a good club sandwhich, but if I have one, I have to adjust the rest of my food for the day to accommodate it.

CD
Reading that article has left me craving a BLT for breakfast!

Re salami, I used to hate it until I discovered Italian salami (particularly Salami Milano). It tastes totally different from the Eastern European style salami.

CD
The thing that has had me sick lately is Tuna in Water used for Tuna Salad sandwiches. Three times now, even after tossing cans from bad lot numbers. I won't mention the brand name as it might not be appropriate. But no more Tuna in Water for this kid. The reaction was not nice at all.

Now you're talking...
cuts_.png

My favorite cold meats have no visible or large pieces of lard and are - unfortunately - high on sodium. There have been a few cases of salmonella in Middle European salamis (in certain chain stores which I don't go to) but no listeria. There are a handful of listeria exposures in Finland annually; no one has died to my knowledge. Clostridium botulinum (the same as Botox) is much more serious in vacuum packed groceries - but luckily very uncommon. I don't worry about toxins in cold meat. The amount of sodium is what concerns me - and that's why I only put one or two thin pieces on top of an open sandwich.

I especially like smoked ham, Spanish dry cured ham (super salty and doesn't have quite as much "raw meat flavor" as the Italian version; Prosciutto di Parma), cold smoked tenderloins/rounds (beef, pork, horse, reindeer,...) and extra lean German type mettwursts/salamis. I also love overcooked, shredded meat (pork, beef or chicken) in subs. Nigella Lawson's shredded lamb (link) is to die for. Even Burt might like it as there's pomegranate in the recipe :D.

The cheese I like most is Finnish made black label (matured for at least 9 months) Swiss-type Emmenthal (Finn. "Emmental") with holes and a slightly Parmesan/Parmigiano Reggiano type of taste. Tangy cream cheeses, crumbly blue cheese and mature cheddar also taste good to me.
em.JPG
ke.JPG
au.JPG
che.JPG

Last edited:
I love cold cuts (which around here we call lunchmeat).

My all-time favorite is Lebanon (pronounced as two syllables, "Leb'nun") bologna - like if bologna and salami had a baby. Close relatives are also Old-Fashioned Loaf and Dutch Loaf.

Beyond that, salami, sandwich pepperoni, ham, bologna, and roast beef. Not a big fan of turkey, I'd rather just have chicken. There are other specialty items I like as well, like Pickle Loaf and Olive Loaf, though I ate so much Olive Loaf once, I puked it all up all over the inside of my car, and I've somewhat avoided it since (and that was well over 30 years ago).

Cheese...most any fairly mild cheese will do, like cheddar or Swiss, and some sandwiches call for a certain cheese. I always have bologna with American cheese, for example, and Swiss would never go on that, though it's my preference with ham. I also like Muenster, and Colby is always welcome, especially on roast beef.

I'll use whatever sandwich bread is available, but I do prefer plain white bread for bologna. I also don't like a lot of additions to most sandwiches. Lettuce is good on bologna and ham, onion is good on roast beef, and I like tomato on some of those, but salami gets banana peppers, and not much else.

I like a deluxe club sandwich when we eat out, and I like the bacon that goes on it, but I'm never that fancy at home. Every now and then, depending on the sandwich, sliced hard-boiled egg is good.

Condiments, I'm basically a mustard and/or mayonnaise person.
As I hinted, I'm not one for Bologna and American Cheese.

Condiment favorites include Mustard, Mayo, Salsa, Oil and Balsamic Vinegar and Horse Radish.

Veg Fixins would include Lettuce (different varieties), Roma Tomato, Sprouts, Sweet Peppers, Olives and Onions (white, yellow, sweet or purple).

To the cheeses listed in my original post, I add Feta.

Breads include Wheat Slices, Ciabattas, Sour Dough, Dutch Crunch, Ryes and other Baguettes, Brioches, Boules or Batards, Tortilla or Flatbread Wraps, Pitas and some others.

Now you're talking...

Nigella Lawson's shredded lamb (link) is to die for. Even Burt might like it as there's pomegranate in the recipe :D.

Lamb! I love Lamb. There are only two or three sandwiches I might have with Lamb. Lamburgers (my creation), Lamb Shawarmas and Pressed Mutton/Beef Gyros.

I am familiar with the owners of a family string of Greek Restaurants locally and they are excellent, especially for Gyros, Shawarmas and Kabobs, among other things.

I would never think to make my own Gyros, as I would have to special order the big spit of pressed meat from one of the only two places to get that stuff in the USA, Kronos in Chicago. I might make Chicken or Lamb Shawarmas, as I can get the necessary ingredients for them.

Hemmers I like beauty, I also like eating things of beauty. The pomegranate is a fruit of the ugly duckling variety, peel spread then behold the ruby insidesView attachment 50322View attachment 50323
Yes, they are certainly beautiful: the seeds have a wonderful glass-like glaze and a deep red color. In addition, they taste good and have health benefits, (as you've written in another thread). I currently have pomegranates in the fridge too. Up north, they import them mainly from Spain; there's only one "general" variety available at a time, if any. The only thing I don't like much is the mouthfeel and slightly tangy aftertaste of the broken seeds - but I guess it's the price you have to pay for getting vitamins and quality fibre into your guts.

Beef carpaccio with rucola/rocket/arugula and pomegranate is a wonderful dish; color-wise it's perfect for Christmas.
be_4.jpg

Photo source

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom