Recipe Cold smoked Salmon

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
7:29 AM
Cold smoking salmon at home is surprisingly easy. I got a good deal on a side of salmon this weekend, so it's time to dust off the smoker and get started.

Step 1 - Brining.
Place the salmon in a non-metallic container and cover with a dry brine mix - I used Maldon sea salt (Kosher or PDV is fine) mixed with ground up juniper berries and bay leaves. Cover and refrigerate for 8-12 hours. This serves two purposes - it draws out moisture, firming up the flesh, and it kills off any surface bacteria.

IMG_0010.JPG

There's more to it than just brining, isn't there?

I'm waiting until it's warm enough outside to use my smoker. Salmon will be one of the first things I make.
Yes, this is just step 1. Next is drying, followed by smoking, I will post pictures of each stage. For cold smoking. it's better when the temperature is cooler. I aim for sub 18 deg C - it doesn't want cooking!

You can simply brine though. Somewhere I think I posted something... here we go:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/in-the-test-kitchen-vanilla-cured-salmon.11270/

View attachment 14738
Yes, that is more like Gravlax, cured but not smoked. Traditionally, fishermen buried the salmon in sand below the waterline, and left it to ferment. Now, its just dry brined in salt, sugar and dill. Or anything else you fancy really. My wife tried it with vodka and beetroot a couple of years ago!

Brining completed. It will now dry in the fridge for a couple of days. The brining process brought out around 200ml of fluid - I should have weighed it, before and after.
IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

I had to build a new smoker today. My old one had lain unused in an outbuilding for quite a while and was beyond repair. This is the new one, albeit waiting for finishing touches, but it will do for now. The apple wood dust is lit, the doors are now sealed, and the magic will happen over the next 6 hours or so.

View attachment 14873
I had to build a new smoker today. My old one had lain unused in an outbuilding for quite a while and was beyond repair. This is the new one, albeit waiting for finishing touches, but it will do for now. The apple wood dust is lit, the doors are now sealed, and the magic will happen over the next 6 hours or so.

I admire your ingenuity - but isn't it a bit of a fire hazard? :ohmy:

I admire your ingenuity - but isn't it a bit of a fire hazard? :ohmy:

No, there is no flame and very little heat, the wood dust just smoulders to produce the smoke. The only risk of fire is from embers dropping through the mesh of the burner, which is why it is placed on a quarry tile. If it's any reassurance, the guy I learnt from is a former London fire chief!

D-cut salmon.jpg

Finally it;s ready. Starting to 'D-cut' the salmon. Apparently Gordon Ramsay holds the world speed record for this. I won't be challenging! These first slices will accompany scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom