Coleslaw anyone

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
9:46 AM
With all the summer heat going around, one of my favorite cold salads is Cole slaw. It is a shredded cabbage based salad with a creamy white dressing. I like to put shredded cabbage and carrots in mine, but a lot of people also like to used shredded broccoli stems as well. How do you make your Cole slaw?

Cole slaw is one of my favourite salads too. It is not an everyday sort of thing though. We usually view it as something to use on special days or occasions. A day of the week that we would normally use cole slaw is on Sunday..

I like my cole slaw with shredded cabbage and carrots along with salad dressing. Sometimes the supermarket sells the shredded cabbage and carrots together in a package, so all I would have to do is to add the salad dressing.

shredded dutch white cabbage with grated carrot or put across the mandolin, good seasoning ,and a good mayonnaise and keep for a few hours before eating to soften ,
I also like to mix red cabbage in to the mix ,but it has to be very fine,and I also like slaw made with celeriac

We were born and raised on cole slaw. And why so? Because that is the cheapest salad according to my mother. She would whip the dressing from mayonnaise, tabasco sauce, a little ketchup and I believe there is sugar. My brother would chop the cabbage into the desired size and I would be the mixer - the one who tosses the cabbage bits with the dressing. We would be having that with fried chicken drumsticks.. one of my favorite dish when I was in grade school.

We were born and raised on cole slaw. And why so? Because that is the cheapest salad according to my mother. She would whip the dressing from mayonnaise, tabasco sauce, a little ketchup and I believe there is sugar. My brother would chop the cabbage into the desired size and I would be the mixer - the one who tosses the cabbage bits with the dressing. We would be having that with fried chicken drumsticks.. one of my favorite dish when I was in grade school.
It is extremely easy to make and a cheap salad as well. You can buy carrots and cabbage for very cheap and most of the sauce ingredients are stuff you would find in the fridge anyway. I really like broccoli slaw too, but that is more expensive to make. Either way, it is a cool summer treat.

It is extremely easy to make and a cheap salad as well. You can buy carrots and cabbage for very cheap and most of the sauce ingredients are stuff you would find in the fridge anyway. I really like broccoli slaw too, but that is more expensive to make. Either way, it is a cool summer treat.
This is the first time I've heard of broccoli slaw. I don't think people in our house will relish that because, to them, broccoli is bitter to which I agree. Incidentally, our dinner last night was broccoli and cauliflower with pork and chicken bits. When we have no budget for the salad, we just buy cucumber and dip it in mayonnaise. That is the cheapest ingredient for a salad. But most of the time it would be Western lettuce that is good for tossed salad.

Shredded cabbage, not too much grated carrots, onion,Hellmans mayo, sugar and a pinch of salt. I've never added broccoli to this mix but sometimes use the same dressing for broccoli or purple cabbage.

I just shred of some cabbage and a carrot and used this dressing recipe.

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup mayonnaise

• 2 tablespoons white sugar

• 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar

• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• Directions
    1. Whisk mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, pepper, and salt together in a bowl until smooth and creamy.

L_B, you actually follow the recipe and follow the measurements? I get great reviews for my Cole slaw and I just throw together whatever I feel is the correct amount. I can usually tell just by looking at it if I have added the correct of mayonnaise which is most important to me. Like I said earlier it must be Hellmans, but I am willing to give another one a try if someone can convince me. Way, way, way back I tried another mayonnaise and it was so not right.

I don't actually follow the recipe I simply use it as a guideline. I adjust to my taste and just eye the amounts. Help make is by far the best but I have used other brands.

Back
Top Bottom